• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finally...Decision Made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Good luck tomorrow, can't wait to see photos and hear more about him.

I'm not sure about your question.. I'm going to say leave him, but others might say get him clipped. (if they know how to)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I'm leaving early in the morning. I have a quick question....Freddie if flighted. Do you guys recommend that I ask the owners to clip him, if they know how, or should I leave him flighted. I will probably allow him flight later anyway...but would it be better to cli[p for the adjustment period.
It all depends on him and how he is. Just be careful if he gets spooked or scared and takes off in the house. If you do allow him to fly around, make sure you cover any mirrors and keep your blinds down and the rooms darkened a bit.

You could slow him down cutting a few inners and leave the outer flights.

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
I personally wouldn't clip him, Sharon. I actually find working with fully-flighted birds easier than with those who are clipped. I know that some feel that clipping makes them easier to handle but I believe that by taking away their means of escape via their wings you are increasing the chance of the bird resorting to other means to avoid you....lunging, nipping or biting being the ones that come to mind. I like that a fully flighted bird can fly away from me if I ever make him or her feel uncomfortable with me. I think it has caused me to be a better trainer with my birds as it forces me to try to figure out how to entice the bird to do what I am asking rather than forcing him or her to submit by taking away its choice to fly away. I don't know if that makes any sense, but this is my experience in working with many birds of various species.

I would suggest taking your cues from the bird as to what you can and cannot do with him. Most Amazons are easy to read as their body language is anything but subtle. The ones you have to watch out for are those that have been exposed to extreme degrees of flooding where all warning signs of the bird were ignored which taught the bird that it is a waste of time to flare its tail or pin its eyes because those signs are not heeded. So in those cases, you will have a bird that "bites for no reason". There's always a reason. Anyway, sorry, I guess I got off on a tangent. But again, if it were me, I would not clip Freddie's wings. If this means that you can not handle him from the get-go, I would tell you that is okay as you have plenty of time to earn his trust. Good luck tomorrow!

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
OK....Thanks!:) I actually prefer to leave him flighted. He'll have enough to adjust to with getting a new home, and new people...

Status
Not open for further replies.