• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finally Decided

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They do have the cutest little faces!!

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Ok so I have officially decided I’m getting a Green Cheek Conure. Something about them... just draws me to their cute little faces! I try researching other birds but green cheeks are in my head the whole time!
Congratulations!

I feel the exact same way! I literally can't research other birds without GCCs popping in my head!

Post pictures once you get him/her!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Well they're really popular for a reason ;) I have a black capped conure, but they're pretty similar. He's a little goof! Congrats!

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Also I think I will get a baby. :huh:
Almost all of my animals are rescues and I was planning on rescuing a bird to but there’s just soooo little rescue birds in Australia ,the closest bird been given up at the moment is a 15 hour drive and it’s a caique so the wrong species :banghead: o_O

Also I travel a lot and 99% of the time the bird would be coming with me. I think a young bird would be able to adjust easily were as a older bird could find it extremely stressful.

What do you guys think?

Kodigirl210

If you are looking for a GCC and there isn’t a rescue nearby then I wouldn’t stress not doing the rescue thing. 15h is too far away to worry about doing requisite classes, having someone vet you and maybe not qualifying or them having what you’re looking for anyway as you stated. As far as how phobic, each bird is an individual and it has more to do with the breeder than the person when it comes to how comfortable they are u less you spend ample time with the fid before they come home.

Do your research carefully. I spent a lot of time looking for my GCC breeder and it paid off. The birds we have are wonderful and brave and loving. Going outside or in the car is an adventure not a punishment. Too many others have gotten “hand raised” fids that they couldn’t touch or work with for days to weeks to months.

You’re investing in a long time companion, so don’t go strictly by price. Research the breeders, ask for references. See how they run their operation. My breeders post videos/pics every day from the time they are pulled to the time they fly home. Make sure you are able to visit the chick as often as you want if you live close enough.

Someone who won’t be that accessible or transparent in my mind is hiding something or even worse just in it for the money so hand raised means picking them out of a brooder, shoving food down their throat and then throwing them back in the brooder.

Adult birds can be great because they have gone through all the stages and tend to have more steady personalities - at the same time rescues tend to have issues so it is likely you wouldn’t get a birb that was ready to be and about at day one.

One final point. Do NOT Get an unweaned bird. It will not change the bonding process and make you closer. A lot of people end up doing serious injury or killing the babies as they don’t have any experience with hand feeding. It is nowhere as easy as someone who is practiced makes it look. And just as often the bird doesn’t have a close bond to the person who fed it because they view that as parent. Instinctually they are wired to leave their parents asap and changing the bond from parent to companion isn’t easy, if you even can.

I hope you find what you are looking for. Best wishes :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Birds are adaptable. Even if you got a slightly older bird there is a good chance they would adapt to your pattern. A lot of times a sexually mature bird is great because you don't have to worry about the challenges of puberty. You know what the birds personality is. I agree with @Kodigirl210 do not get a unweaned bird.

I would also check in with your local parrot society. I have had wonderful email exchanges from people there and it helped me find trusted, honest and reliable breeders. Pi was clipped right before I got him which was disappointing...but they did do a great job with him. He was 100% adapt to life with humans. Nothing really scared him and in about a week he was already hopping on my shoulder. He is my little friend now, super sweet and we sing together :xflove:

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
I have researched daily for 2 years :hehe: So I know a ridiculous amount about green cheeks ;)

Also I would never even consider a unweaned bird so don’t worry about that! There’s two breeders near me who I’m planning to check out to see soon if they are good. One has been highly recommended by one of our bird friends.

Thanks for the advice @Kodigirl210 and @fashionfobie

Kodigirl210

Haha- I know you’ve probably heard it a million times. Wasn’t trying to impugn your knowledge - It’s reflexive at this point! Spending time here on AA it’s crazy the amount of unweaned birds that are purchased or brought home :shifty:

Sounds like you have your GCCs all in a row. Do you know what color you are aiming for?
:)

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Haha- I know you’ve probably heard it a million times. Wasn’t trying to impugn your knowledge - It’s reflexive at this point! Spending time here on AA it’s crazy the amount of unweaned birds that are purchased or brought home :shifty:

Sounds like you have your GCCs all in a row. Do you know what color you are aiming for?
:)
I love the look of the pineapples, yellow sided and turquoise the best:xflove:, but if I can I’m letting the bird pick me so I probably won’t get a say in the colour :lol:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Many congrats! I'm so happy for you!!!

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Many congrats! I'm so happy for you!!!
Thanks :D I probably won’t get the bird for a while yet as it will take me a while to properly prepare. (Save up for a huge cage, buy and make heaps of toys for rotation, replace all non stick pans, put mesh screens on windows etc)

But I’m still suuuuper exited! I will probably get them late September to early October.

Kodigirl210

:bubbles:Well then, all I can say is that one very lucky GCC or 2 is going to have a very, very wonderful parront. :heart2: (I say 2 because I quickly realized you can never have just 1. Luckily when we hit number 3 we will be done):bliss:

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
:bubbles:Well then, all I can say is that one very lucky GCC or 2 is going to have a very, very wonderful parront. :heart2: (I say 2 because I quickly realized you can never have just 1. Luckily when we hit number 3 we will be done):bliss:
If I had the money I would buy 10!

AstridBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
izzy
Congratulations , GCC are sooo cute xx
I have a question...
im towards the end of my 2 years of college and going to Uni soon, I will be out for about 5-7 hours , 4-6 days a week. I want to get a GCC but I don't know if I have the time to give it the attention it needs before it feels neglected, im aware you can leave them with music and Tv on, but for how long until this isn't enough to keep them happy anymore? I would really appreciate any information or suggestions. Thankyou x

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Hey Izzy :) Thank you for looking for advice before rushing out to get a bird. Well done.

It is always hard getting a bird in school. Schedules change often and normally you also want a social life. In terms of time before the bird feels neglected, it all depends on the bird. GCC are very attached and physical with their friends. It will be difficult for a GCC to be happy for hours on end alone; some develop screaming behaviour calling out to their flock all day long. Each bird also has their own personality, between my two parrotlets they are completely different personality wise. Some birds are more needy of their people.

@tka normally shares a nice post about the time reality of bird keeping and student life.

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Congratulations , GCC are sooo cute xx
I have a question...
im towards the end of my 2 years of college and going to Uni soon, I will be out for about 5-7 hours , 4-6 days a week. I want to get a GCC but I don't know if I have the time to give it the attention it needs before it feels neglected, im aware you can leave them with music and Tv on, but for how long until this isn't enough to keep them happy anymore? I would really appreciate any information or suggestions. Thankyou x
Have you considered getting 2? They could keep each other company whilst your away and if you got a large cage for them where they could flap there wings a bit. They would probably be able to deal with you being away for long periods better.

AstridBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
izzy
Hey Izzy :) Thank you for looking for advice before rushing out to get a bird. Well done.

It is always hard getting a bird in school. Schedules change often and normally you also want a social life. In terms of time before the bird feels neglected, it all depends on the bird. GCC are very attached and physical with their friends. It will be difficult for a GCC to be happy for hours on end alone; some develop screaming behaviour calling out to their flock all day long. Each bird also has their own personality, between my two parrotlets they are completely different personality wise. Some birds are more needy of their people.

@tka normally shares a nice post about the time reality of bird keeping and student life.
Thankyou x