• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finally able to get a parrot! what parrot should i get???

poppy_15

Moving in
I'm finally able to get a bird but need some advice on what bird is best for me, i have never owned a bird before thought my mom has, i'm wanting a fairly quiet bird that is not to destructive and will get along with friends&family also a relatively inexpensive bird would be great though i can stretch a little
i have been looking at a few species (see below) but i have heard mixed things,if you have any question plz ask also a bigger parrot may be better we have dogs but will keep them away from the bird
  • lovebirds
  • Meyers parrots
  • Conures (green cheek?)
  • indian ringnecks
  • alexanderine parakeet
  • canary winged

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello, Welcome to the Avenue! :)

i'm wanting a fairly quiet bird that is not to destructive
lovebirds
A lovebirds call is quite shrill. It is not something some people can handle. When I had just one bird, he was very quiet. But I know others who have one and they are chatterboxes, so I guess that is a spin of the roulette.
They are destructive, but given their beak size they won´t put a hole in your door like other larger birds, they´lll just nibble and take the edge off. My birds don´t destroy any of the wooden furniture interestingly, though I did babysit my friends birds and they were giving it a good go.
Don´t leave any books or paper work out, though I think that is to be said for many parrots.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It depends on what you find noisy. My budgies chatter all day, but it's pleasant & not a decibel level to cause hearing damage.

poppy_15

Moving in
id say for noise like constant squawking i couldn't handle my cousins have a love bird and i can handle the sound

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welave:
The good, bad, ugly threads are great resources to learn about experiences with each bird.

Remember it’s not only the initial cost of the birds you have to remember that there’s vet bills, toys, cages. There is no “cheap bird”.

If this is your first bird I don’t recommend getting a larger bird. Large birds take up a lot of time and money ask any large bird owner here although it is doable it’s difficult.

Canary winged parakeets can be loud but on occasion every bird is different.
@Wardy has Conures

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Welcome to the forum!

In my limited direct experience (with my own, plus those of 2 friends), a well adjusted green cheek conure is bold/curious enough to go to friends & family on their own terms. Mine will fly to friends after they've been in our home for an hour or so, for example. Mine is quiet until she's not (she likes yelling out the window at the wild birds). She is destructive with things that aren't wood, and since she's a nimble flier who can land on small/unpredictable places, she also poops more widely than my bigger birds (but it's usually confined to one of her perches).

Since you mentioned friends & family, I'll comment that larger species are intimidating to most people. Everyone thinks my GCC is super cute and will interact with her, and they may be brave enough to ask to hold my Severe or give him a treat, but I've only met one person who looked at my Military and wanted to interact with him. In practical terms, this means I have a go-to friend to board my GCC if needed, but I need to find more expert boarding for the larger guys. I know you're not asking about species of that size, but it's a trend worth noting.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just want to say, lovebirds are both vocal and destructive, and they’re not usually the best “family” birds because they are often possessive or attached to only one or two people in a household and heck with the rest. :)

Also, do not go by the “purchase” price of a bird. If you’re looking for an “inexpensive” bird, you’re already starting out with the wrong mindset. That’s basically you planning to improperly care for that bird whether you realize that right now or not. I have a rescue lovebird that I adopted for $20 that just cost me $1,200 for her medical care (weekend care and diagnosing and treating an illness). Two weeks ago that same lovebird’s vet visit was $300+ and in July when all of this started, another $300+. That’s not counting expected costs of food, cage, toys.

Make sure you carefully think about how much proper care for our little avian friends can cost, no matter how small the bird. Good luck!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welave:

I have a couple of conures both have completely different personalities.
One is quiet content to chill on her own or play with my other bird. The other is much nosier and much more inclined to destroy things and get up to no good she definately thinks she is a bigger bird than she is :lol:
I wouldnt hesitate getting more if i had the room.

poppy_15

Moving in
thanks! when i say "cheap" i don't mean 20$ bird or anything i just don't want a 2000$ price point for just the bird:)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd recommend a Linnie! I've had mine for over 2 months now and he's an absolute joy! He's the quietest bird I've had in terms of volume,he chatters a lot but Its at a very tolerable level and that's saying something cause the older I get the more sensitive my tolerance for parrots noises are.
He's still not tame at this point but when I've had to capture him to take him to the vet he's been sweet and barely tried to bite,he seems extremely gentle and sweet natured. He's a fantastic eater and he loved his toys right away and happily plays with them even upside down. They come in many lovely mutations as well. I've had many species over the years and he's quickly captured my heart.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
May I ask what stage of life you are currently in? I don't mean this in a condescending way, I'm just a college student who got her birds in middle and high school and it is incredibly hard to ensure they are cared for now with the uncertainty of life and not knowing where you might be next.

My advice to you would be to interact with different species. If at all possible, visit a rescue. You need to see the ugly of every species and decide if that is something you could still live with, as parrots are not domesticated animals and you don't really know what you're getting with a bird until it has settled into your home and the honeymoon phase has passed. Rescues are also great places as many have tons of different species to interact with and a multitude of personalities to go with it. Some may be friendly and some may hate humans, but it is good to see both sides of it and understand why so many parrots end up in rescues in the first place. :) Sometimes a bird will also pick you and it might be a species you never thought of!

I have two birds, a green cheeked conure and a severe macaw, but through volunteering at my local rescue I was able to gain experience with a lot of different species and learn even more about living with parrots and their care.
i'm wanting a fairly quiet bird that is not to destructive and will get along with friends&family also a relatively inexpensive bird would be great
Even if a species is generally quiet, there is no guarantee an individual bird will be quiet. I have a green cheek conure, many of which are not too loud, and he is louder than my severe macaw. The macaw has the potential to be louder, but Grumbles (the green cheek) makes a lot more noise. He screams quite often and has picked up blue jay yells from outside. He even has a high pitched puppy bark for when he is really feeling ignored. Even when he isn't yelling he likes to chatter to himself with clicks and kisses and mumbo jumbo demon noises lol. I love him to death but he is NOT a quiet bird despite his size.

Destruction... well that's a tough one because all parrots are going to be destructive. Conures love to play and chew, and when not supervised or given proper toys to chew on they will find something else to destroy. Bookcases, trim, furniture, books, paper, you name it and it will probably have bite marks. Yes, smaller birds are going to be naturally less destructive than the big beaks but they definitely still chew and leave their mark. I am a lot more careful with my macaw as she could very quickly cause a lot of damage but Grumbles has caused plenty of destruction even though he is not a big bird.. one second unsupervised and he is off to destruction.

Getting along with friends and family: this one also isn't promised... as a baby Grumbles got along with everyone. He was a really good boy and would step up nicely and let anyone pet him. Now he has definitely chosen his person and he will attack others who get too close to that person in his opinion. If that person isn't around he will be relatively friendly towards others that he knows but will bite fingers given the opportunity and is much less hands on. With that person he is very clingy but with everyone else he kinda just wants to be around you but not on you/being touched. I have one friend who he will tolerate, and even she gets bit by him still. Anyone else who I'm not confident he will be friendly to either can talk to him through the cage or give him treats through the cage or while he is on me. He is not a stranger friendly bird for the most part and bites very hard to show that. My severe macaw, Levi, is very choosy with people. This is typical for her species but she either likes you or hates you and there is no in-between. While she loves me and will be nice to my dad and brother (they think she's cool but are a little scared of her), my mom cannot even feed her as she will lunge as my mom changes the food/water bowls. My mom never did anything to her, Levi just decided she didn't like her. Levi is a rescue so I'm not sure how she was a baby/adolescent but I do know she lived with an elderly couple before coming to the rescue/me. I also am very careful with who I let interact with her as the one time I was bit by Levi through a fleece jacket it left a scar I still have today. Obviously I don't want anyone else getting bit for no reason so only people who she knows and likes/who I am confident with her being around are able to touch and/or handle her.

Inexpensive is also not something predictable. While smaller birds will certainly be cheaper than large birds in terms of both initial and upkeep costs, a single unexpected vet bill could set you back thousands. Pet insurance or having savings specifically for this is a great idea. What I did when I first got Grumbles was made a list of every single thing he would need to start out and the costs, plus some things I would have to buy before too long such as more food or toys. It adds up to a lot but there are ways to keep the costs lower such as making your own toys and waiting for sales to stock up on things.

Let me end this with: I love my parrots. They can both be buttfaces or they can be sweethearts but either way I love them. There are days when I get frustrated with them, with the noise and the mess and the need for attention; but at the end of the day I chose to live with them and it is my responsibility to take care of them for the rest of their lives. My birds are like my children, and with their life spans they will essentially be living with me until I would have grown up children. Grumbles is my heart bird and he chose me. He might bite me sometimes but I would take many more conures if I could, they are so cute and think that they're 10 feet tall. While I can't say I would love many more severe macaws, I do love Levi and she is a wonderful bird for me. Someday when I have a more stable housing situation I hope to expand my flock and while I'm not sure the species I do know that at the end of the day my birds are my happy place. Parrots aren't just a hobby.. they're a way of life and I am completely happy with that.

If you have absolutely any more specific questions, please ask me here or pm me! I would love to help you out and as someone who also was unsure of which bird to get when first starting out I would be happy to share my experiences. I hope none of this sounded too depressing or aggressive, it simply is the truth and I just wanted to make sure you were aware of that. Parrots are wonderful to share our lives with even though they are terrible pets and I'm happy to see you here on Avian Avenue to start your adventure. :D

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I have three lovebirds

first pico hand reared super tame will go to others if the are confident wasn’t noisy odd chatter in a morning and night but nothing bad he’s such a lovely bird does tricks very fast leaner is super attached to me

indie parent reared my second lovebird the two together made more noise calling each other indie bites at times is scared of hands but is tame indie a boss her way or high way indie attached to pico but he’s not bothered indie can do tricks too

mango third aviary bird oh my word as the noise level gone up plus mango makes a noise non of my others did it’s almost like a high pitched hyena laugh and other two now do it back mango will come for millet but is still settling in doesn’t seem to bite or not as hard as indie mango learnt to turn around so far

what I am trying to say is it’s down to personality of the bird they have the species traits but each bird is very different
It’s best to read post on each bird on here and see what fits best into ur life

I love lovebirds I think they are amazing so active so interactive with they toys and me

poppy_15

Moving in
May I ask what stage of life you are currently in? I don't mean this in a condescending way, I'm just a college student who got her birds in middle and high school and it is incredibly hard to ensure they are cared for now with the uncertainty of life and not knowing where you might be next.

My advice to you would be to interact with different species. If at all possible, visit a rescue. You need to see the ugly of every species and decide if that is something you could still live with, as parrots are not domesticated animals and you don't really know what you're getting with a bird until it has settled into your home and the honeymoon phase has passed. Rescues are also great places as many have tons of different species to interact with and a multitude of personalities to go with it. Some may be friendly and some may hate humans, but it is good to see both sides of it and understand why so many parrots end up in rescues in the first place. :) Sometimes a bird will also pick you and it might be a species you never thought of!

I have two birds, a green cheeked conure and a severe macaw, but through volunteering at my local rescue I was able to gain experience with a lot of different species and learn even more about living with parrots and their care.

Even if a species is generally quiet, there is no guarantee an individual bird will be quiet. I have a green cheek conure, many of which are not too loud, and he is louder than my severe macaw. The macaw has the potential to be louder, but Grumbles (the green cheek) makes a lot more noise. He screams quite often and has picked up blue jay yells from outside. He even has a high pitched puppy bark for when he is really feeling ignored. Even when he isn't yelling he likes to chatter to himself with clicks and kisses and mumbo jumbo demon noises lol. I love him to death but he is NOT a quiet bird despite his size.

Destruction... well that's a tough one because all parrots are going to be destructive. Conures love to play and chew, and when not supervised or given proper toys to chew on they will find something else to destroy. Bookcases, trim, furniture, books, paper, you name it and it will probably have bite marks. Yes, smaller birds are going to be naturally less destructive than the big beaks but they definitely still chew and leave their mark. I am a lot more careful with my macaw as she could very quickly cause a lot of damage but Grumbles has caused plenty of destruction even though he is not a big bird.. one second unsupervised and he is off to destruction.

Getting along with friends and family: this one also isn't promised... as a baby Grumbles got along with everyone. He was a really good boy and would step up nicely and let anyone pet him. Now he has definitely chosen his person and he will attack others who get too close to that person in his opinion. If that person isn't around he will be relatively friendly towards others that he knows but will bite fingers given the opportunity and is much less hands on. With that person he is very clingy but with everyone else he kinda just wants to be around you but not on you/being touched. I have one friend who he will tolerate, and even she gets bit by him still. Anyone else who I'm not confident he will be friendly to either can talk to him through the cage or give him treats through the cage or while he is on me. He is not a stranger friendly bird for the most part and bites very hard to show that. My severe macaw, Levi, is very choosy with people. This is typical for her species but she either likes you or hates you and there is no in-between. While she loves me and will be nice to my dad and brother (they think she's cool but are a little scared of her), my mom cannot even feed her as she will lunge as my mom changes the food/water bowls. My mom never did anything to her, Levi just decided she didn't like her. Levi is a rescue so I'm not sure how she was a baby/adolescent but I do know she lived with an elderly couple before coming to the rescue/me. I also am very careful with who I let interact with her as the one time I was bit by Levi through a fleece jacket it left a scar I still have today. Obviously I don't want anyone else getting bit for no reason so only people who she knows and likes/who I am confident with her being around are able to touch and/or handle her.

Inexpensive is also not something predictable. While smaller birds will certainly be cheaper than large birds in terms of both initial and upkeep costs, a single unexpected vet bill could set you back thousands. Pet insurance or having savings specifically for this is a great idea. What I did when I first got Grumbles was made a list of every single thing he would need to start out and the costs, plus some things I would have to buy before too long such as more food or toys. It adds up to a lot but there are ways to keep the costs lower such as making your own toys and waiting for sales to stock up on things.

Let me end this with: I love my parrots. They can both be buttfaces or they can be sweethearts but either way I love them. There are days when I get frustrated with them, with the noise and the mess and the need for attention; but at the end of the day I chose to live with them and it is my responsibility to take care of them for the rest of their lives. My birds are like my children, and with their life spans they will essentially be living with me until I would have grown up children. Grumbles is my heart bird and he chose me. He might bite me sometimes but I would take many more conures if I could, they are so cute and think that they're 10 feet tall. While I can't say I would love many more severe macaws, I do love Levi and she is a wonderful bird for me. Someday when I have a more stable housing situation I hope to expand my flock and while I'm not sure the species I do know that at the end of the day my birds are my happy place. Parrots aren't just a hobby.. they're a way of life and I am completely happy with that.

If you have absolutely any more specific questions, please ask me here or pm me! I would love to help you out and as someone who also was unsure of which bird to get when first starting out I would be happy to share my experiences. I hope none of this sounded too depressing or aggressive, it simply is the truth and I just wanted to make sure you were aware of that. Parrots are wonderful to share our lives with even though they are terrible pets and I'm happy to see you here on Avian Avenue to start your adventure. :D
thank you for the tips! i am in middle school do you have any species recommendations?

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Since you're in middle school I don't recommend getting anything bigger than a conure.
Canary-winged parakeets
Canary-winged parakeets are harder to find and could cost up to $900. Canary-winged parakeets could also become one-person birds.
Green Cheek Conure
Green Cheek conures are readily available and cost around $600. Conures can become more "Family Birds".
Indian Ringnecks
@sophieb821
Alexandrine Parakeet
@sophieb821
I can't tell what bird is right for you, but I think the best option for you is a Green Cheek. I hope this helps :D

poppy_15

Moving in
do you have an opinion on irn vs alexanderines?

also lovebirds?

Last edited:

FinchORI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ori
Im pretty sure I’m going to get Linnie’s as my next birds!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
If you’re in middle school, you’re probably… 12-13 years old?

Please understand I’m not at all aiming to be rude - I’m a mom, and I remember the “pet talks” when my daughter was in middle school, so all of my questions/suggestions are stemming from there.

1) Are you prepared to be bitten?
All birds will bite at some point, but the larger birds are obviously going to do more damage. And even then, some smaller birds hurt more than their larger counterparts. I’d rather take a bite from my cockatiel than my Quaker.

2) As long-lived as most birds are, what’s your plan for the future (college and what not)?
Even when you’re in high school, you’ll have a lot happening. Dates, dances, sports games, concerts, vacations, etc - While you’re gone for a day or two, who will be the primary caretaker? What happens when your social life conflicts with the time required for the bird’s socialization?

3) Most birds are destructive in their own way - When you say you don’t want one that’s destructive, how do you mean?
My Quaker will absolutely destroy toys, but so far nothing else. My cockatiel doesn’t bother with toys, but if anything has a string sticking out, he’s going to chew on it.

4) What is noisy to you?
My cockatiel sings constantly, but I don’t find him loud (my mother, when she met him, thought he was obnoxious). I personally find conures to be nearly ear-bleeding loud, but many don’t.

5) Don’t get a large bird just because you have dogs.
The level of care and the amount of space needed for a large bird (not to mention most go well over your 2K budget) is wild. They’re very long-lived, and have more potential for damage that you might not be prepared for.

I absolutely understand wanting a bird - I wanted one starting around age 15. But good lord am I glad to have waited until after school when my life settled a bit. They’re much more work than you think.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What is noisy to you?
My cockatiel sings constantly, but I don’t find him loud (my mother, when she met him, thought he was obnoxious). I personally find conures to be nearly ear-bleeding loud, but many don’t.
I agree with the comment on the loudness of conures i have one that is unbelievebly loud and i have another to compare her to, she is not a screamer but does like to make a good bit of noise at times.