• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Final Chance: Palm Nuts for Sale at INTRODUCTORY Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
This offer is limited to first-time customers. This offer is not likely to be repeated and is an excellent opportunity for folks to sample these all-natural treats with their birds at a special introductory price.

We are located in South Florida and feed a variety of locally grown palm nuts to our flock. I have previously posted photos and videos here of various members of our flock tearing into the husks of the nuts and eventually extracting the nuts to eat.
We have birds as small as Caiques and as large as Blue & Golds who spend up to 20 minutes at a time working a nut. Palm nuts, therefore, are not only a valued part of a bird's diet here, but are also a great form of natural enrichment for them.

We are pleased to be able to make an introductory offer to AA members residing in the US of a small box of a variety of palm nuts for a flat rate (including shipping) of $10. Your nuts will arrive USPS priority mail. The box will contain a sample of nuts from the following Palm Trees grown locally in the South Florida area and personally harvested by us: Queen Palm, Foxtail Palm and Fan Palm. Here is a photo showing what a typical box will contain:

The nuts on the left are Foxtail Palm Nuts. The dark-skinned nuts come from the Fan Palm tree. The green ones on the right are from the Queen Palm Tree. The Queen Palm nuts will ship green but will ripen into a lovely golden color. They may be given to your birds either green or ripened. We find our birds like them either way.

We find the palm nuts store well in the refrigerator for approximately a week. Others have reported to us that they have frozen theirs for extended storage and thaw them in a cup of hot water before serving.

There is a learning curve to birds discovering that there is a nut inside the husk. Some people will smash a nut open with a hammer at first to show a bird what is inside. We have just left the nuts with our birds and allowed them time to discover this on their own. Our way is slower though, as we have found that while most will happily chew up the skin, fruit and husk, if left to their own devices, it can take as long as a month for them to find out there is a nut inside. Once this is discovered, birds are unrelenting in their pursuit of the nut. Here is a short video showing a Caique of ours working very hard to get to the nut inside the husk of a Foxtail Palm nut:
YouTube - Caique eating foxtail palm nut .mpg

Before feeding the nuts to your birds, we recommend that palm nuts be soaked for 30 minutes in a gallon of water in which 15 drops of GSE have been added. Rinse well.

Here are a few photos showing our birds feasting on palm nuts:

Here is a video showing my pet B&G named Cooper ripping through the husk of a large Foxtail Palm nut. He has already removed the skin and eaten the flesh around the husk and is now getting down to business and working to get to the nut.
YouTube - MOV06760.MPG

This is a video showing my pet U2 named Izzy ripping through the husk of a Foxtail Palm nut. Look carefully as at the very end of the clip you will see her pulling out the nut.
YouTube - Izzy eating Foxtail Palm nut(1).mpg

If you would like a box of these nuts for $10, please PM me to place your order. We are limiting this offer to the first 10 people who respond. The nuts you receive will have been cut down from the trees 1 to 2 days prior to shipment to ensure that they arrive to you in best condition. We plan to ship these on Monday, March 15th. Therefore, we must have all orders by Friday, March 12th at 5:00 p.m. EST, at which time this offer shall expire. Please note that the last time this offer was made, all 10 boxes were spoken for within 24 hours.

For those of you who PM'd me asking to be placed on a waiting list, your order has been noted and your boxes will be shipped tomorrow.

Thank you!

Cory

Real Name
Cory

For those of you who PM'd me asking to be placed on a waiting list, your order has been noted and your boxes will be shipped tomorrow.

Thank you!
Hi Kelly,

I PM'd you a little while ago asking to be on your waiting list if you're able to ship to Canada and gave you my address here.

Am I included in this offer? Is the cost different to ship here? And last but not least, how would you like me to pay you? :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Do we have to respond again in a pm? I had sent a pm last week to be on the list.

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
No, you don't need to respond again, Carole. I have your order and plan to ship your box out tomorrow.

Cory, I'd dearly love to be able to send these to you but I don't know if they are allowed or not into your country. Have no idea on shipping costs to Canada either. I think for now I have to stick to just US residents -- unless someone can assure me that it's okay to ship to Canada. I just don't know!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
My Fiance is down there today, just spoke to him in Pompano. I'd love it if he could get some and bring them home to me tomorrow!

Where in SFL are you? He's heading back to Port Saint Lucie in a few..........

GEE! :highfive:

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
My Fiance is down there today, just spoke to him in Pompano. I'd love it if he could get some and bring them home to me tomorrow!

Where in SFL are you? He's heading back to Port Saint Lucie in a few..........

GEE! :highfive:
We are not close to Pompano -- I think it would be about a 3 to 4 hour drive roundtrip and for this size box, it really wouldn't be worth the drive. I have to jump off the computer now until later this evening as I have a bunch of stuff I need to get done yet, but I will PM you later tonight or tomorrow, okay?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
That will be fine, I hear SFL and think Palm Beach and down. :rofl:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh good! I pmd you too to be on the waiting list! Can't wait to get them!

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
I also PM'd you too to be on the waiting list some time last week. I need to know where to send you money! :D

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Kelly, if you shipped to me I will get the money sent out to you tomorrow. Thanks!!!

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Just wanted to let those of you that were on the waiting list for palm nuts know that your boxes were shipped today and you should receive your palm nuts in the next 2 to 3 days.

Those who ordered palm nuts over this past weekend, your boxes will not be shipped until March 15th.

I am still taking orders if anyone is interested.

Judi

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Judi
Kelly,

My Severe Macaw, Moupie, asked me to order palm nuts from you! We are first-time buyers, but we will probably want to be long-term customers. Would that be possible? As far as I can tell, you are the ONLY source for palm nuts in the US!

I'll send a PM also...

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Judi:

I will be happy to send you palm nuts on a repeat basis! Do you want a mix of nuts or is there a specific variety you are interested in? Some nuts are produced year round and others are seasonal. I'll PM you with some options as to box sizes and prices. Thank you for your interest!

~Kelly

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
Thank you Kelly! They arrived today, and Nugget the lovebird actually did nibble a bit on hers. Every time I tried to take a picture of her tasting it, she kept running up to the camera.

I'll try to get a good picture to share with you - she's certainly received a generous package! Nugget and I are going to share our bounty with my friend who has a GCC! :heart:

Thank you again!

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Kelly, got mine today also. Will soak them tonight and give to the fids tomorrow. I am so keeping my fingers crossed that they will love them. I love giving them new things to try and I find this all very exciting. If they like them, I would also like to be one of your customers. You are Awesome!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks for shipping out so fast! Sending pm about payment to you. It says a lot that you have shipped these out in good faith, without prior payment.:hug8: I would like to be a regular too if my fabies love these as much as I hope.:) I can't wait to get them!

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
I sure love getting everyone's feedback! Thank you!

Carole, I got your PM this morning and responded just a few minutes ago. Thank you for your kind words. :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
! would love to be a regular too

I was surprised at how fast Boogie took to these, he is usually so shy about everything!

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
! would love to be a regular too

I was surprised at how fast Boogie took to these, he is usually so shy about everything!
gg, I've heard this from a few people now and I'm thinking that the nuts must be naturally appealing to most birds. I mean, maybe there is some instinct at play here...I'm not sure. But I keep hearing about birds that are normally shy of anything new who take to the palm nuts very quickly. I've seen the same thing here but wasn't sure if it was just a fluke on our end or not. Guess not! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.