• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fighting Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
My two tiels get along as long as one doesn't get too close to the other. Just now they were both on the same food bowl in the cage screaming at each other and pecking a little bit. They're not hurting each other at all. Do I separate them or let them figure out each other's rules and dominance like you would with dogs? BTW, I think Honey got the title of Queen because Dolce is no longer on the food bowl.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw poor Dolce got the boot :hehe:. It really depends on the individual bird. They might have their squabbles at first and then become friends. It might take time for these two.

Cory

Real Name
Cory
I let my birds "squabble" as long as there is no serious aggression where they are physically hurting each other. My Caiques have had their "fights" where they beak and vocalize a lot but they don't hurt each other and of course they are always supervised. They are learning each others boundaries and they get a long better every day.

I never force my birds into a situation where they have to remain in close proximity to another birds and if I ever feel my birds are in danger I immediately separate them. It depends on the individual birds, how well you can read their body language, and different factors in the situation.

Bird relationships are complicated! :lol:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
in my house adding another food dish stops almost all arguments

the only cages with just one food bowl (well the all have 2 one is pellets one is seed/treats) are breeding pairs They don't seem to bicker over food lol

but my community cages have 2-5 dishes depending on how many birds are in the cage

Cory

Real Name
Cory
Sorry I totally missed the part where you mentioned they are both in the same cage! My advice was referring to out-of-the-cage situations. Sorry about that! :)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
My two share a cage and food bowls. They do their share of squabbling and beaking at each other. I let them be unless it sounds like it is getting out of hand. They can both be stubborn and not back down. I followed another members advice and established myself as the flock leader. All I have to do is so NO in a sharp tone of voice and they both stop instantly.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
How big is the cage and how many food dishes are there? In some circumstance you do not want them to 'work it out' (btw, that doesn't always work in dogs, either, I have seen dogs come in for severe bite wounds and damage because owners thought they would work it out) and others where occasional squabbling is par for the course.

If the cage is less than a flight cage, I would just separate them. It needs to be big enough for both birds to have some personal space AND multiple feeding stations if you want two non-lovely dovey birds to live together. If they're not getting along (more than an occasional squabble) separating them would also be best for their mental health and relationship. Having to live long term with someone they don't really like is going to make them testy and grumpy in their interactions with you too.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mine will squabble occasionally, but one of them always moves away. If they‘re not seriously hurting each other, I don‘t see the harm in keeping them together.

If there‘s only one food dish, it may actually solve your problem, I have to have more than 3 dishes otherwise they all go for the one dish and fight over food. If you have two dishes, try putting in one more, and show them where the other dishes are.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I agree with more food stations and don't put them right next to each other either. Put them as far apart as possible so they can't guard them both at the same time.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
Sorry I totally missed the part where you mentioned they are both in the same cage! My advice was referring to out-of-the-cage situations. Sorry about that! :)
That's ok. They're still "living" in separate cages, I'm just giving them some supervised playtime in the same cage for a couple hours a day so that they can get used to each other. I'd like for them to be in the same cage. It's huge. I don't have room for another one like that! :lol:

How big is the cage and how many food dishes are there? If the cage is less than a flight cage, I would just separate them. It needs to be big enough for both birds to have some personal space AND multiple feeding stations if you want two non-lovely dovey birds to live together. If they're not getting along (more than an occasional squabble) separating them would also be best for their mental health and relationship. Having to live long term with someone they don't really like is going to make them testy and grumpy in their interactions with you too.
Just one right now, but I will get another tomorrow and put it on the opposite side like JLCribber suggested. It's a very big cage. Plenty of room for the two of them once they warm up to each other, fingers crossed.
IMG_3558.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.