• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Fifi (african grey) showd signs of sick today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
She was eating and perching till today. She threw up this morning and now is on bottom of cage with drooping feathers. No signs of eye or nostril problems, poop looks fine, eating well, drinking a bit more than usual. But can't stay awake unless hubby is next to her and then she is "acting" fine. I am afraid it could be what Gizmo died of and I spent thousands on him to help him. We just can't do that with Fifi and love her so much. I am so sad. It doesn't fit any sickness I am aware of. She has not thrown up again today. Will be watching tomorrow and may take her in. I am afraid it may be too late for my grey.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear this,is there anyway you could try to take her into an E-Vet now too take a look at her? At least for an inital exam?

Last edited:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I would defiantly take Her in first thing in the morning,She will be in My thoughts and Prayers:hug8:

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
New news on Fifi-she is sick

The horror of going through this again is disturbing. Fifi, my husbands little buddy is sick. She is eating lots, drinking a tad bit more than usual but puked today and is staying on bottom of cage. She can climb around but isn't doing great. I have this horrible fear she ha what Gizmo had although symptoms are different. I just don't know if I can go through this again. She wont cuddle with hubby which really is a sign. I am hoping it is something simple.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Re: New news on Fifi-she is sick

She needs to go to an avian vet pronto.

Karighan

Hit the Road
Real Name
Liz
'In the morning' may be too late. Birds begin to show sickness when it's become very severe. If you have an emergency avian vet, I would definitely go now, if you can.

I'm so sorry she's sick, and you're in my prayers.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Gut feeling without having a grey is take her in as soon as possible and that means now. I hate to say this but bounce a check if you absolutely must but get her seen otherwise you will never forgive yourself.

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Please get her in immediately.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
We went through this once and my grey died. I am pretty sure it is too late for Fifi. I will know tomorrow morning if I can take her in. I am just distraught.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I am so sorry you are going through this. Can I ask what was wrong with your other bird?

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
'In the morning' may be too late. Birds begin to show sickness when it's become very severe. If you have an emergency avian vet, I would definitely go now, if you can.

I'm so sorry she's sick, and you're in my prayers.
You are right Karighan. I have grown up around birds. I am hoping at this point she goes quickly and I wont watch her go through what my last bird went through.
I only caused a deathly sick bird to extend his life miserably on all kinds of meds and medical tests.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
I am so sorry you are going through this. Can I ask what was wrong with your other bird?
We never found out but I am afraid now it was contagious even though he as tested for every disease the US could test for. All negative but I am fearing it was false negatives. The symptoms were like beak and feather disease.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia

Thank you for the thoughts, You would have to know the story of my other Grey to understand where I am coming from. She, I am sure now, has what Gizmo had and that is what will haunt me for the rest of my life. I couldn't keep her from getting it. It will eat me up.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
was there a necropsy done on your other one? I would still take her in you will never know if it is the same thing with out having it checked out :) It could be something very treatable

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

I hope she will be okay, I will keep her in my thoughts. Please keep us updated.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I hope your Grey can be seen tomorrow and pulls through this. :hug8:

I had a few Cockatiels fall sick at the same time, Theo who was the sickest (throwing up a lot, sitting on the bottom, etc) was taken in and tested, it ended up being a bacterial infection, completely treatable, so hope it is the same in your Greys case, at least that whatever it is, it can be easily treated.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Praying that she will be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.