• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fiery shouldered conure diet?

Pepperoni

Meeting neighbors
I have a fiery shouldered conure called Pepper. I can't find much info about this particular species diet requirements online and I was wondering if there was anything specific to them I should watch out for, like deficiencies common to them?

This is the diet I am currently feeding my 5mo baby:

Morning is veg e.g. carrot, broccoli, sweetcorn, pea, greenbeen, quinoa, cooked black bean, some herbs like mint or Basil, and a bit of apple, grape/raspberry/blueberry/strawberry, some almond pieces, pistachio pieces, and cashew pieces

Evening is more apple (her absolute favourite) and another different type of fruit like plum

Treats for foraging and training are a seed mix and dried fruit like raisins

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A lot of fruit and nut in that diet as far @Mizzely @Pixiebeak may have more specific advice on a fiery shoulder.

Carry on with the salad and veg and herbs, slow right down with the fruit a lot of fruit can cause health issues.
Nuts are great for treats when training or for foraging.

Are you feeding pellets ?

And do you have a pic of Pepper ?

:welave: :needpics:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would follow diet recommendations for green cheek conures are they are also Pyrrhura conures.

I like to feed a base of Pellets, then add veggies with an emphasis on dark leafy greens and orange vegetables, a small amount of fruit, small amount of nuts and/or seed.

For my green cheek I would give 1/2 tsp a day combined of seed/nuts and maybe a blueberry sized piece of fruit a day.

I know not everyone feeds pellets; if you aren't then you'll also want to make sure to get some unfiltered sunlight (not through a screen or window) so they can get vitamin D3 from UVB. Low D3 can cause calcium absorption issues.

Pepperoni

Meeting neighbors
I would follow diet recommendations for green cheek conures are they are also Pyrrhura conures.

I like to feed a base of Pellets, then add veggies with an emphasis on dark leafy greens and orange vegetables, a small amount of fruit, small amount of nuts and/or seed.

For my green cheek I would give 1/2 tsp a day combined of seed/nuts and maybe a blueberry sized piece of fruit a day.

I know not everyone feeds pellets; if you aren't then you'll also want to make sure to get some unfiltered sunlight (not through a screen or window) so they can get vitamin D3 from UVB. Low D3 can cause calcium absorption issues.
I've began feeding TOPS but on further research this has the same sunlight issue?

Pepperoni

Meeting neighbors
When it comes to sunlight how long is required? I do have an extra cage and it is very sunny where I live, is it possible that she would overheat?

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
When it comes to sunlight how long is required? I do have an extra cage and it is very sunny where I live, is it possible that she would overheat?
Overheating depends on the type of weather….
doubtful that cage will overheat in 15-20 degree weather. Perhaps just position the cage somewhere whete there is sunlight and shade (eg. Near a window that has curtains u can use to block Some sun with). Many people (including vets) say it is optimal for a parrot to follow the natural day night sequence by being outside in the sun. Whatever suits u. At least an hour a day would be good I would say. U will likely be able to tell when it is too hot. Parrot body warmth is 40 degree so whatever is hot for u is VERY hot for them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
20-30 minutes a few times a week year round. Even in the shade she'll get some UVB :)

And yes they can overheat.