• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fid vs Soda Can - a visual aid in size of all species

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
I picked my smallest fid for this one. hee hee...
Molly
7 months old
24 grams
handfed pacific parrotlet, female
fiesty, bossy, hilarious, adorable, thinks she is an amazon!

HA!! I am actually terrified of parrotlets after reading this forum. There was one for adoption nearby so I researched and decided I am not woman enough.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Is this what I see in the trees in Melbourne Australia and call a Rosela?
No a crimson rosella is a different bird. A male eclectus is green with a candy corn colored beak. The female is red and purple. There was a male Chaucer a few posts earlier.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@JudiNH - our fids are almost the same size. Saya is molting excessively, so she is less fluffy.

I guess Ill get this one covered...

fid name: Saya
Species: Zebra Finch
Sex: Female
Weight, if you know it: 22.5 grams (most finches top out at 15 grams)
Import or hand fed: hand fed
Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 7.59.01 AM.png

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
@JudiNH - our fids are almost the same size. Saya is molting excessively, so she is less fluffy.

I guess Ill get this one covered...

fid name: Saya
Species: Zebra Finch
Sex: Female
Weight, if you know it: 22.5 grams (most finches top out at 15 grams)
Import or hand fed: hand fed
View attachment 217288

Saya is cheating, standing on millet to look taller!! :rofl:

redbarnmacaw

Sprinting down the street
Fid name: Mika
Species: Peachfaced lovebird
Sex: Male
Weight: 45g
Import or hand fed: Handfed by me.
Personality/vocabulary or what makes your fid special: No vocab, but he is special because he's the best, most perfect bird I could have ever asked for.

View attachment 67610

Fid name: Raptor
Species: Meyer's Parrot
Sex: TBD
Weight: 109g
Import or hand fed: Unknown, we adopted him.
Personality/vocabulary or what makes your fid special: Tries to say "bird bird", mimics other parrot sounds perfectly, extremely blood-thirsty toward any and all other birds.

View attachment 67611
I wonder if its a common trait that the meyer be aggressive or dislike other birds? Is it other types of birds or his "own kind" as well??

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
No pop cans, but a 2L which Fritz fluffed up at and growled until I took him off the counter XD IMG_2164.JPG

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like the fact that there's a military in the post above Chloe's. Really shows the size difference. :) That ought to be helpful for folks who get the two species confused because of similar adult coloring. Of course, Chloe doesn't have her red forehead yet..

Solayan

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
I took this one ages ago and forgot to add it to this thread.

Mango, Blue Throated Conure, 90 grams, she was two and half years old when this was taken (With cameo from @Heather F ;))

She's sort of hunkered down in this one rather than standing straight up, but I think it gives a decent idea of her size.

EchoDolphin

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lauren
Hey everybody, new member here! I actually joined the forum due to this post and I couldn't wait to add to it, so here goes!

This is my first true feather baby, Echo. His full name is Echo Pascal Rufflebottom, but he only knows how to say his first name. He is a 1 1/2 year old Maximilian Pionus, and at his last vet appointment he weighed 223 grams. I got him from a breeder about an hour away from where I live. I wasn't intending to get a medium parrot when I went to look at them but I fell in love with him the moment I held him. I took him home when he was 3 months old and he's been my baby ever since.

He's picked up a fair share of words, including his name, "pretty bird," "hello," "om nom nom," wolf whistle, the "come here" whistle, meow, and much more that I'm currently blanking on. He also knows how to wave, spin in a circle, flip under an open perch (we call it loop), and nodding is a work in progress. :) He is also registered as an Emotional Support Animal so he sometimes goes with me in a revamped cat carrier complete with treats when it's nice out. It's nice to show people that ESAs can be any animal and that parrots are cool, but my favorite times are when he lets me give him head scritches. <3

20170507_011443.jpg 20170507_011510.jpg 20170507_011516.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Echo is adorable.

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
All the birdies here are sooooo cute!!! I'll try to bribe my societies on to a soda can!

Oswald-Le-Tiel

Moving in
Real Name
Chloe
I would love to take part in this and I love all the photos! So cute!! :D Unfortunately, I cannot drink soda because of my dad (he's very into taking vitamins and lowering sugar in the diet etc.) but maybe I can ask my brother for help!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I would love to take part in this and I love all the photos! So cute!! :D Unfortunately, I cannot drink soda because of my dad (he's very into taking vitamins and lowering sugar in the diet etc.) but maybe I can ask my brother for help!
You can use a soup can or a can of vegetables.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
What a great thread! Very interesting! Unfortunately I don't drink soda or any canned drinks really
Also, I have several fids but doubt they'd hang with a soda can. It'd be totally new to them!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fid name: Java
Species: Greater Vasa
Sex: Male
Weight: 430 grams
Import or hand fed: Hand-fed
Personality/vocabulary or what makes your fid special: sweet-natured and rather passive. Has been a breeder his entire life until 6 months ago. He's learning what it means to have a family. Also, he's missing his left leg from a racoon attack in his past. He does not talk.

20180802_142704.jpg
20180802_142546.jpg
This is as close as I could get the can to him without him getting nervous.