• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Few questions

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Hey hey,

I have a few questions.
1. Nuka during the day she sleeps in their seed bowl. Is this an issue?
2. They lay eggs, not so often anymore, but they both end up eating them. Should I worry? The get calcium powder in their water, they have a extra bowl full of chia seeds, a bowl of just nuts and a bowl daily with fruit, veggies, baby food, quinoa or couscous. Should I get them extra vitamin drops or something?
3. I post my birds on instagram and people often ask what is wrong with Chip her nose. Not sure what happened, got her like that.

IMG_20200829_120124_999.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don't allow any of my girls to sit in the food bowl. It is a nesting behaviour. Often they will tip the food out and waste most of it. See if you can buy a new bowl that does not permit sitting.

Sometimes birds just don't know what to do with eggs. It's good you are supplementing calcium.

I do not know about the nares. What did your vet say?

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
I don't allow any of my girls to sit in the food bowl. It is a nesting behaviour. Often they will tip the food out and waste most of it. See if you can buy a new bowl that does not permit sitting.

Sometimes birds just don't know what to do with eggs. It's good you are supplementing calcium.

I do not know about the nares. What did your vet say?
My vet didn't really say anything about. Figured maybe got hurt in her old place or something. Cause different stand alone breeders bring them to the shop. And bought her in that shop.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
It's possible she had an infection or a nare stone at some point, see here Rhinolith . Recently I put an additional food cup in my cage, same 10 oz size as the others, and immediately Sprite started trying to nest it. I took it out and replaced it with a smaller 5 oz dish, problem solved.