• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Few Questions for you experienced large bird owners about our new baby...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Hi everyone some of you may have seen the pictures I posted in the photo forum of our new 4 month old Green Wing. I have a few questions and I was hoping you may have advice. First of all s/he is doing great. Very friendly and still taking those 2 hand feedings a day. I guess my first question is about flying. The breeder clipped him before sending him to us but did a terrible job. But since he has been up here with me this morning the poor thing has been desperately trying to fly, jumping and flapping away. I am worried he will hurt himself. Should I be concerned or should would he not do it if it was dangerous? I guess my next question is behavioral. He does this tail feather shake, just kind of swings his little bum back and forth here and there.... does that mean anything? Then my last question having never had a Macaw is how do you go about setting limits or making corrections if an undesirable behavior should pop up? We have not had that problem just yet but I am curious what you do. With the size of the beak the possibility of getting nippy worries me and I do not know how that would be dealt with.

Finally I hesitate to ask because when I looked up information I noticed it sparks a lot of debate. But without getting anything like that started. Having such a large bird in the house is it believed to be better or worse for any reason to have them either flighted or clipped? I ask because I am letting the feathers grow out for now to fix the mistake that was made by whoever did the clip but it almost seems that being so large they would be less likely to get hurt if they jumped off of something if they had the flight feathers but at the same time I do not think the wingspan would clear the doorway.

Just trying to learn thanks :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Should I be concerned or should would he not do it if it was dangerous?

Wing flapping is a normal activity. It's all part of learning to fly and how their bodies work. I would make sure that he's not falling when he does this..if so, then give him a lower place to flap. Usually, they hold on pretty tightly with their feet:)

He does this tail feather shake, just kind of swings his little bum back and forth here and there.... does that mean anything?

Tail wagging us usually a happy behavior. They will shake their tails when they're happy. They will also do this when bathing or to dislodge any debris after preening.

how do you go about setting limits or making corrections if an undesirable behavior should pop up?

I think it's important to be firm, but gentle and loving from the get go. Example...I got my G2 when she was only 3 months old. She started the normal baby beaking stuff and getting a little too rough when playing. I would gently tell her no and remove her beak. After a while, all I would have to say is Gentle and she would remove her beak right away. It's still that way..she gets rough while playing and I'll say Gentle and she stops right away. You can also do some research about clicker training and positive reinforcement training. It not only helps to teach manners but trick training can also help keep them mentally stimulated. My birds love it!

Having such a large bird in the house is it believed to be better or worse for any reason to have them either flighted or clipped?

This really depends on your home and bird and your feelings about it all. I know some people have fully flighted large birds and they do great. I think letting them learn how to fly as young birds helps them to navigate better and better as they grow. I also know some people with large birds where having them flighted just doesn't work. I think you're in great shape to give it a go when the flights grow back in because your bird is young and will learn your house as he also learns to fly. I have a Moluccan that is fully flighted and he has never even tried to fly anywhere. He's 18 years old and I just got him last year so I do not know his history. I have heard that th bigger birds aren't as "flighty" as the smaller ones..meaning they just don't fly around the house as much...but I'm sure that differs widely among birds.

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I have a 9+ yr old Greenwing.

With your baby, definitely do not let him get into situations (like atop his 7 foot tall cage) where he could fall like a stone if he loses his balance while flapping.

Give him lots of flapping exercises on your arm close to the ground. That will help develop those muscles.

When sitting with him, always have lots of foot toys. If he starts beaking or nipping, put a toy in his mouth instead. Redirect his beaking from you to appropriate items.

Definitely clicker training. You have an incredible opportunity right now. He is a big sponge.

Diego is fully flighted, but never tries to fly. But I never forget that could change at any moment.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I recommend Parrot Problem Solver by Barbara Heidenreich, all/most of your answers on behavior and how to do things and how to prevent things and fix things are in that book. I also recommend a book by Nikki Moustaki called Your Outta Control Bird, again wonderful wealth of info there.

My scarlet would shake her tail when happy/excited, when she had to poop or if she had water on it or wanted a bath.

I also recommend checking out the Flight Section and read as much as you can there. I wont get in about why you should or should not keep your macaw flighted once he becomes flight at a year-2yrs of age. But I do say once he molts out and has flight feathers you should wait atleast 6 months before clipping him to give him the chance to refledge and learn how to be a bird. So here is this:

http://forums.avianavenue.com/airport/5484-clipping-not.html

And YES a macaw can get through a 32" door way or smaller. You'll be very surprised at how well they can fly when they KNOW how to 100% fly and maneuver. Gra cvame to me clip (my scarlet, rip) and when she molted out and was learning how to fly, it took her no time at all how to maneuver and fly in my mom's small 1200sqft house.

Last edited:

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
wow lots of great information. thanks so much :)

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
I think everyone has given you alot of good info, just wanted to say welcome to another baby macaw and he/she is beautiful and adorable at the same time!

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
I also agree with all the information you have been given. Einstein is getting better and better everyday at flying, and landing lol (he's 6 mos). Their depth perception is amazing and they learn quickly how to maneuver. The tail shaking cracks me up! Welcome aboard and you have a very beautiful baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.