• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

fertilised eggs not hatching

emzymayzy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Hi Everyone ok so my 2 cockatiels around October mated like mad and had 5 eggs sadly we disturbed the nest by having to stay at my nans coz i had an operation so they then ignored the eggs then week and a half a later we came back home they went straight back to breeding mode and laid 4 more eggs first one was laid 5th dec. 2 were empty but 2 weren't i candled them and saw heart beats. about 10 days later AKA lastnight i candled them again and they look alot different either died or bigger and close to hatching and i dont know how to tell and i dont want to handle them anymore because im scared of dropping them. But im expecting the worst. The parents have sat on them the whole time so if they are dead would any one know why. Is there pics on candling on here?

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Hi Everyone ok so my 2 cockatiels around October mated like mad and had 5 eggs sadly we disturbed the nest by having to stay at my nans coz i had an operation so they then ignored the eggs then week and a half a later we came back home they went straight back to breeding mode and laid 4 more eggs first one was laid 5th dec. 2 were empty but 2 weren't i candled them and saw heart beats. about 10 days later AKA lastnight i candled them again and they look alot different either died or bigger and close to hatching and i dont know how to tell and i dont want to handle them anymore because im scared of dropping them. But im expecting the worst. The parents have sat on them the whole time so if they are dead would any one know why. Is there pics on candling on here?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
5th dec would mean if they are going to hatch it will be any minute now. I would not candle the eggs any more, you won´t see much anyway they should be dark, sometimes you can see the beak poking into the air pocket.
Just leave them be. If they are DIS or early deaths it is too late to save them anyway.
Time will tell...

Some articles on candling here for future reference:

Remember to breed responsibly. Removing the nest after clutches to allow a rest period :)

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
5th dec would mean if they are going to hatch it will be any minute now. I would not candle the eggs any more, you won´t see much anyway they should be dark, sometimes you can see the beak poking into the air pocket.
Just leave them be. If they are DIS or early deaths it is too late to save them anyway.
Time will tell...

Some articles on candling here for future reference:

Remember to breed responsibly. Removing the nest after clutches to allow a rest period :)
thank you sooo much when if they are dead would i expect to get rid x

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Candling eggs that are close to the end of gestation can be tricky, and confusing. When the chicks are almost grown in the egg, you won't be able to see a heartbeat and it may appear that the egg will not hatch. Honestly, just leave the eggs alone and let nature do it's magic. The eggs may be just fine :) Have some patience and let the parents do their thing.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Duplicate threads merged to contain responses and info in one place

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Candling eggs that are close to the end of gestation can be tricky, and confusing. When the chicks are almost grown in the egg, you won't be able to see a heartbeat and it may appear that the egg will not hatch. Honestly, just leave the eggs alone and let nature do it's magic. The eggs may be just fine :) Have some patience and let the parents do their thing.
Thank you soo reasuring as family will expect me to throw the eggs soon and i dont know what to explain to them that im having to wait and see coz they think they should be hatched by now

shoog

Strolling the yard
Real Name
shoog
I once saw a lovebird leg which the owner of it get too scared that he literally did hatch the egg himself, he opened it up, and what appears was not good, you know, a few days before hatching there will be a lot of blood that looks like perches around the egg, and what they do is that all the blood would go into the chick so the chick can have enough strength and hatches, sometimes there will be no more oxygen so the chick wouldn't survive that long, but anyway. no matter what you do or happen, do not try to hatch the egg yourself or help the chick while it's coming out of the egg, if you did, some of its organs would not get enough blood and the blood will get stock and clot, if you're lucky enough it will be in the legs only, there's cases where the clots go to the eye, or the wings even, so whatever happens, do NOT hatch the egg, let it do its own beauty magic

shoog

Strolling the yard
Real Name
shoog
I once saw a lovebird leg which the owner of it get too scared that he literally did hatch the egg himself, he opened it up, and what appears was not good, you know, a few days before hatching there will be a lot of blood that looks like perches around the egg, and what they do is that all the blood would go into the chick so the chick can have enough strength and hatches, sometimes there will be no more oxygen so the chick wouldn't survive that long, but anyway. no matter what you do or happen, do not try to hatch the egg yourself or help the chick while it's coming out of the egg, if you did, some of its organs would not get enough blood and the blood will get stock and clot, if you're lucky enough it will be in the legs only, there's cases where the clots go to the eye, or the wings even, so whatever happens, do NOT hatch the egg, let it do its own beauty magic
sorry for the lack of my vocabulary, I'm not that knowledgeable of medical words and phrases

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Im going to have to throw away the eggs way as i think they all bad 2 empty and ones gone a funny colour and i cant see the 3rd
and they will stay on the eggs for no reason
i will wait till your reply to thow them incase you have any other suggestions

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You should wait for them to abandon them. They will figure it out.

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
You should wait for them to abandon them. They will figure it out.
ok as long as they do figure it out and dont stay in there as i need to give them a long enough break from breeding so to hopefully have better luck in spring

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Letting them figure it out will help them not immediately lay a new clutch. I would imagine and hope they'll do it in the next week or two.

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Letting them figure it out will help them not immediately lay a new clutch. I would imagine and hope they'll do it in the next week or two.
thank you as the timing to expect them ignore the eggs was what i wanted to know so two weeks?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's dependent on the bird. They know that if they don't hatch after a time that they are no longer viable. It's up to their internal clock to decide when that time is