• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ferrets? I have questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalS

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Crystal
Hello Everyone!

As of today I have "rescued" a ferret from a friend/neighbor of mine.

Her name is Rikki and she is 7 years old.

She came from a house with 10 cats, 4 dogs and 1 amazon :eek:.

I had been researching ferrets for a while but never acted on it but I felt so bad for this girl. The only time she got out was when I was there and that was probably once a month. She didn't even have a light in the room she was in. :eek:

Anyway, I was up there Friday, I was holding her and said that I wanted her (joking) and they said to take her home. So, here I am with a new ferret.

OMG while I was there to pick her up, her mother was clipping her nails and one of the cats came up and chomped on her ear. Poor darling. I'm glad I have her. I have 2 keets and 2 dogs so this will feel like a vaction for her.

I do have one question: I've had rats before (I know theyre not the same) but do ferrets teeth become overgrown like rats do? Her teeth feel so long. I used to have to take my rats for a teeth trimming when they got up in age. Is that something they need?

Also, she only ever had shots when they got her. I know they do need certain shots. Is that something I should do to her being that she is kind of old?

I plan to take her for a check up at my vet.

I don't have any other questions right at the moment but I'm sure I will come up with some. I was just wondering if someone can offer me any advice/suggestions on caring for this lil girl.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
I am so glad that you got her! And we do need some pictures as well :)
For your first question no their teeth are not like rats once they have grown in they will stop growing so they do not need teeth trimming. And depending on whagt shots she has gotten will decide if she needs more. Because there are some of the shots that need the boosters after so long. I would talk to your vet about it when you get her checked out. Good luck with her I cant wait to see some pictures of her!

CrystalS

Real Name
Crystal
Thanks for the reply Logan.

I was really concerned about her teeth! Thank you! This is all new to me!

I'm taking my dog in tomorrow to get his stitches out/cone off so I will make an appointment for her while I'm there.

I have her papers and her first shots are the only shots shes had. :( I will be sure to talk to the vet about it.

I'm also concerned about her food but I don't have it front of me right now and I will post the brand tomorrow when I have a free moment from the doggie!

I will be sure to do a photo shoot ASAP! :D

Last edited:

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Wow, 7 is pretty old for most ferrets. Their teeth are like cats- they grow in when young and that's it. Also like cats they are pure carnivores, even though they tend to have a terrible sweet tooth. Ferrets are like birds in that you really need to take them in to a vet who is comfortable with them and sees ferrets regularly, otherwise you might not get the best care and advice for their special medical issues.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also a note about ferrets. They have scent glands in their ears that they rub on things. Try to get a good ear cleaner and keep them clean and it will help cut down on some of the strong musky smell.

sugarbeth

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Beth
Be careful about your birds with your ferret! Ferrets can squeeze into tiny spaces - if they can get into something (or out of their cage), they WILL! They can easily kill birds.

Good luck! They are very cute!

rocabird

Real Name
dawn
Congrats! I have 7 of the little fuzzbutts.

Ferrets normally get distemper and rabies vaccines, but like Sharpie says find a vet who is knowledgable about ferrets. Some will give the dog combo vaccine and that is not correct. There is a ferret only distemper vaccine they should use. Both distemper and rabies are yearly vaccines in ferrets. Some ferrets have reactions to the vaccines so many people will give each vaccine at different appointments. It is also a good idea to wait at the vet for about a half an hour after getting the shot to watch for a reaction and continue to monitor them at home for the next few hours.

Good luck with her. I am sure she will be happy to be with someone who will spend time with her.

Jadie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jade
Awe thanks for saving this ferret:heart:
Like everyone has said, their teach grow in and that's it, no filling needed! If you are worried about them though do point it out to your vet.
What is her diet?(brand, type?).
Usually there are 2 vaccines, Canine distemper(which she will probably have to get) and rabies(it is an option here but some places require it).
I would love to see pictures!:)

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Congrats on your ferret. I can't offer any other advice. All the advice you have gotten is good. Write a list of questions for your vet. If I remember correctly 7 is pretty old for a ferret so there may be some additional stuff you'll need to do for an elderly ferret. They can squeeze themselves into very tiny spots so as stated before, please be careful with your birds. And if you have any recliner furniture, please be sure your ferret is in his cage before you close the recliner. I've heard lots of horror stories about recliners and ferrets. Wishing you the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.