• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ferret Roll Call!!!

S.A.S.K.

Meeting neighbors
Cause why not! :happydance:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You haven’t added yours??

S.A.S.K.

Meeting neighbors
I'm going to be honest with you. I don't have any pets... AT THE MOMENT. I most likely won't get a ferret.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
I used to have ferrets if that counts. Their names were McCoy and Kirk, but I ended up being terribly allergic to them.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I used to have ferrets if that counts. Their names were McCoy and Kirk, but I ended up being terribly allergic to them.
Oh that’s sad, ferrets really are awesome pets!
I had some as a teen and my kids grew up with a few as pets too. Our last two lived to be about 14 and are very missed.

S.A.S.K.

Meeting neighbors
I had some as a teen and my kids grew up with a few as pets too. Our last two lived to be about 14 and are very missed.
I really want one, but my mom is STRONGLY against it. It's a miracle I'm adopting a bird. :lol:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
14 years old for ferrets is absolutely amazing! Their lifespan is 2 to 5 ish from what we see at our clinic. Well done on yalls clearly exemplary care of them!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
14 years old for ferrets is absolutely amazing! Their lifespan is 2 to 5 ish from what we see at our clinic. Well done on yalls clearly exemplary care of them!
Yeah I have heard that and been really very shocked by this age expectation, I am not in America though.
Most ferrets here will live to at least 8-10 years before they start to show any signs of slowing down, that is if they do not meet a sticky end as they are well known to meet a deathly tragedy if they escape with how curious they are.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah I have heard that and been really very shocked by this age expectation, I am not in America though.
Most ferrets here will live to at least 8-10 years before they start to show any signs of slowing down, that is if they do not meet a sticky end as they are well known to meet a deathly tragedy if they escape with how curious they are.
Hmm that's interesting that genetics in Australia are clearly hardier than American but I'll bet they aren't as overbred there as they sadly are here. Oh yes that's also true lots of sad stories that I've heard over the years of those types of incidents. My friend unfortunately lost his ferret when he managed to squeeze under a door and escape outside and sadly he was never seen again .

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hmm that's interesting that genetics in Australia are clearly hardier than American but I'll bet they aren't as overbred there as they sadly are here. Oh yes that's also true lots of sad stories that I've heard of the years of those types of incidents. My friend unfortunately lost his ferret when he managed to squeeze under a door and escape outside and sadly he was never seen again .
I guess the genetics thing is probably thanks to backyard breeding or inexperienced breeders which we did not have a lot of here (sadly it is becoming more common now)- same with budgies in America, from what I see and hear many have serious genetic issues and are expected to live for a short time or end up with tumors.
I have never bought or sought out an animal from an inexperienced breeder as I feel that would be unethical and basically just asking for heartbreak. I once adopted 2 weird looking ferrets that some silly self entitled young girl had decided to breed because she wanted to learn and see what babies from her male and female ferret looked like, one baby had serious neurological issues causing constant seizures and had to be put to sleep at a very very young age and the other lived her life out comfortably with us but always looked and behaved odd- after some digging about I found out the ferrets she bred were related... this is why I wholeheartedly believe that not just anyone should be allowed to bring life into the world!

Awww that is sad for your friend. My first ferret used to follow me absolutely everywhere. She would take off for an exploring adventure and I would just whistle and call her and she would come running back to me, she was a one in a million kind of pet. She insisted on showering with me every morning and spent the whole day hidden in my top or bag and came literally everywhere with me. I still miss her.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess the genetics thing is probably thanks to backyard breeding or inexperienced breeders which we did not have a lot of here (sadly it is becoming more common now)- same with budgies in America, from what I see and hear many have serious genetic issues and are expected to live for a short time or end up with tumors.
I have never bought or sought out an animal from an inexperienced breeder as I feel that would be unethical and basically just asking for heartbreak. I once adopted 2 weird looking ferrets that some silly self entitled young girl had decided to breed because she wanted to learn and see what babies from her male and female ferret looked like, one baby had serious neurological issues causing constant seizures and had to be put to sleep at a very very young age and the other lived her life out comfortably with us but always looked and behaved odd- after some digging about I found out the ferrets she bred were related... this is why I wholeheartedly believe that not just anyone should be allowed to bring life into the world!

Awww that is sad for your friend. My first ferret used to follow me absolutely everywhere. She would take off for an exploring adventure and I would just whistle and call her and she would come running back to me, she was a one in a million kind of pet. She insisted on showering with me every morning and spent the whole day hidden in my top or bag and came literally everywhere with me. I still miss her.
I had actually thought about Budgies as well when I was typing that first reply since I know that they are horribly overbred here and yes their lifespans are just terribly short it seems even with the best vet care.
Oh no that's awful that it was such a terrible idea to start with being two related parents let alone with an inexperienced person that's just the ultimate recipe for disaster for any surviving babies. I'm glad the hardier baby had a good and cherished life with you.
It was very devastating I'd met him several times and he was a super silly and sweet boy such a shame that they can be such good escape artists and some pay the price for that curiosity.
Oh my goodness your girl sounds absolutely amazing what a little lovebug. Do you have a pic of her you could share? What was her name?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I had actually thought about Budgies as well when I was typing that first reply since I know that they are horribly overbred here and yes their lifespans are just terribly short it seems even with the best vet care.
Oh no that's awful that it was such a terrible idea to start with being two related parents let alone with an inexperienced person that's just the ultimate recipe for disaster for any surviving babies. I'm glad the hardier baby had a good and cherished life with you.
It was very devastating I'd met him several times and he was a super silly and sweet boy such a shame that they can be such good escape artists and some pay the price for that curiosity.
Oh my goodness your girl sounds absolutely amazing what a little lovebug. Do you have a pic of her you could share? What was her name?
Her name was Little Girl, I do not believe I have any photos of her anymore unfortunately. I have lost many of my photos from that time of my life sadly.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Her name was Little Girl, I do not believe I have any photos of her anymore unfortunately. I have lost many of my photos from that time of my life sadly.
Aww Little Girl that's very cute. Aw no I'm terribly sorry to hear that I've lost quite a few pics of my beloved dogs over the years so I understand that sorrow.