• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feral Quaker/Monk Spotting in SE Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Earlier this week I noticed a flock of birds flying near my office that sounded an awful lot like a type of parrot. I'd actually forgotten about it until today.

On my way back from lunch today a coworker spotted some colorful birds on the power lines in the parking lot. We backed up to take a look. There were 6 Quaker parrots just minding their own business.

This is in Sugar Land, which is SW of Houston. Anybody who is familar with the area, we saw them in the Fountains parking lot by the Avalon Diner.

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
So cool. That is one of my dreams doing to see wild quakers.

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I like them but I don't want them here. I reported them to the state. They told me they've even been spotted in Galveston.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Contrary to what is perceived quakers do not interfer and compete with native birds . Their diet consists mainly of introduced plants and scrubs ( aka landscape stuff). The main complaint about quakers are that they nest on power poles which causes outages.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Please enter them next month in the world parrot count . Go to Parrot - CML. Our Audubon society here in Florida- supports our native parrot populations as they DO NOT compete or crowd out native species. Feral cats are more the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.