• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feral London IRNs

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Indian Ringneck parakeets are a common sight and sound in the parks of London, especially in the south west. I tend to hear them before I see them; they are noisy when in flight and call loudly. Their profile in flight is very distinctive: with their streamline shape and long narrow tails, they are unlike most other British species. They are fast, agile flyers who streak across the sky, and are often gone before I can point them out.

Perhaps surprisingly, they are often hard to spot in the trees. Their bright green colouring looks like it ought to stand out - and yet, it allows them to disappear. It is almost impossible to spot them when the trees are in leaf. They're often wary and will take to their wings as soon as they feel uneasy.

I wait until winter to try to take photos. This is the closest I've got to a pair. Even then, the photos aren't great quality because I had to zoom in so much. I hope you like them anyway :)

My guess is that this is a mature breeding pair. You can see the adult male's ring very clearly.

PXL_20230204_153555864.jpg

PXL_20230204_153551431.jpg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh wow! They are absolutely gorgeous. Lovely shots.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Fantastic photos! He looks beautiful, such gorgeous plumage!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How fun! I’m glad they have endured London winters.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Things like this are always so wildly surprising to me. How did they learn to make it through the winter?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They actually live quite far north in India and Pakistan and their range extends into the Himalayas. A bit of drizzle is nothing compared to that!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
It’s been freezing at points here too for uk anyway
Wow is amazing sight

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
That’s so cool :wideyed:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
They actually live quite far north in India and Pakistan and their range extends into the Himalayas. A bit of drizzle is nothing compared to that!
I'm surprised the fog doesn't bother them or all the car fumes.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I'm surprised the fog doesn't bother them or all the car fumes.
This is very true I am not a massive London fan give me a nice country walk any day

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Eh, if they can survive New Delhi - with some of the most polluted air in the world - they're robust enough to cope with London air. New Delhi smog makes London air seem like a fresh meadow's breeze.

This bird is upsetting the balance of Delhi’s bird population

Compared to the freezing cold of the Himalayan mountains and the thick pollution of New Delhi, London is a dream for them. Our climate is generally mild. The amount of time that the temperature dips below freezing is measured in days rather than months, there are loads of green spaces and trees around the city (including the magnificent Richmond Park and Hampstead Heath, both IRN strongholds) and the city is full of people who hang up bird feeders throughout the year. It's pretty easy living for them, and they've demonstrated this by surging in population.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Now this would make me visit London :heart::rofl:
I've enjoyed London each time I visited -- lots to see, but on the negative side:
  • accomodations - expensive
  • food - expensive
  • coffee - bad

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I've enjoyed London each time I visited -- lots to see, but on the negative side:
  • accomodations - expensive
  • food - expensive
  • coffee - bad
There’s just too many people for me it’s too busy I love the food pop up stalls they have I’ve only been once :unsure1: would love to go to winter wonderland

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Go on the assumption that everything in central London is for tourists and rich people. Normal people don't live in the middle of London because we can't afford it. Places like Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Street, Covent Garden and Shaftesbury Avenue are particularly bad - absolutely rammed and full of people trying to get those sweet sweet tourist £££s. If you want less expensive accommodation and food, it's best not to stay centrally. London's transport network is great and the added benefit of the bus routes is that you can sit on the top deck and enjoy the sights for far less than the tourist buses.

Food-wise, yeah, London is expensive. You're not really going to snap up a bargain here, although it's worth keeping an eye out for deals. I would go for Indian, Chinese (Chinatown itself can be a bit of a tourist trap), Lebanese, Thai, Japanese, Malaysian or Vietnamese. There's good Ethiopian food along Caledonian Road. There are some really good ramen and pho places. Roti King by Euston is practically a London institution and will feed you well for around a tenner.

Coffee-wise, my most memorable recent cup of coffee came from Coffeeology in Richmond. My first taste of unwashed beans! Like I've said before, the big chains - Starbucks, Cafe Nero, Costa, Pret - are the main ones that can afford the sky-high rents in central and they serve mediocre coffee at best and actively bad coffee at worst. As I've said before, you find better coffee once you get out of the touristy areas and into places where people actually live.

Personally I do what most Londoners do - live in Zone 2 or 3, have a nearby park and green space nearby, have a local high street with shops, restaurants, cafe and pubs, and have a local cafe where they know you :) Then head into central London for the museums and art galleries and theatres and so on when you feel the urge.