• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feral chickens are back......

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
at the farm. where they go in the winter we have no idea. but come spring, they always show up about April. Suffa, our big Great Pyrenees, walk over to his water dish yesterday morning for a drink, he looked in the dish and walked away. uncle went and looked in the dish, 3 chicken eggs in the dish. Unk took the eggs filled water dish and Suffa got his drink.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I never heard of feral chickens before. I have seen vidoes with random chickens wandering the streets in the background. I always thought they own by someone. :ashamed2: Like they were extreme free range chickens or something :giggle:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
they have been at the farm for 3 years, first year was 5 hens and a very crowy rooster, 2nd year was 8 hens and 3 roosters in the spring by fall there was only 1 rooster. this year Uncle has seen 6 hens and 2 roosters. at night they fly up into one of two trees to roost. they will roost in both trees at times. Uncle has fed them chicken feed both they like more to find their own food. he would like them to stay the heck out of his herb garden so this year he is netting it, along with the strawberry patch and raspberry bushes. they lay their eggs in some weird places, dog's water dishes if they are empty, the clothes pin bag on the clothes line, and in Unk's tennis shoes if left on the back deck. they never seem to nest those eggs but they must nest somewhere because there is always a few chicks hiding under bushes, the front porch and under the deck. they are so wild that you can't get close to any of them. last year I had a rooster chase me into the house on full dead run. he was getting his pecks in on my leg little stinker.