• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

female who sings

Glamourfaust

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
How common are female canaries that sing? When we got our pair a little over a year ago, we thought we had two males because the one we were told is the female started singing. But then she also laid eggs. Now they both sing. Her voice isn't as loud but her songs are just as long and varied. Is this normal?

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Well the fact that she laid eggs would lead me to a pretty positive assumption that she is indeed a hen :D

Lemme tag a finch person: @finchly I bet she can tell you if it's normal or not.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Yes it’s normal, it’s not entirely common, but it definitely happens. I once saw a female singer get returned twice - once because the owner thought she was male, and again because she was not a male.

Glamourfaust

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
We had a chicken hen who started crowing when we didn't have a rooster, but she also stopped laying. I'm not interested in the consequences of an experiment (I don't want babies), but our female canary is FREQUENTLY D.E.S.P.E.R.A.T.E. to build a nest, so I suspect she'd still lay eggs.

Seriously, she can be so intent on building a nest. She stares longingly at our long-haired dog's head and tries to build with whatever materials she can find in the craziest places in their cage. Poor girl.