• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female Parrotlet mating behavior??

Tanti

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
Hello,

I have a female parrotlet who is almost 2 years old, she is the only one I have and is very attached to me. Over the past couple weeks she's been exhibiting more territorial behavior which I assumed was her getting into nesting season. I've always had female finches in the past so I'm used to seeing them hunker down and lay eggs.,

I feel like that's what she's starting to do but I wanted to see if I could get some behavioral confirmation as she's obviously different from a finch.

She has recently started wiggling her whole body, usually when sitting on my finger or a perch. She stands up tall with her feathers puffed out and moves back and forth. Is this her trying to mate or trying to push out an egg? I feel like her rump is noticeably bigger so I thought she would lay one soon, I just don't know if that's a sign of her struggling to or just normal mating behavior??

Thank you guys for any help!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
:bump7:

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
She looks bothered and yes, quite large belly, I'd say she could have an egg, but I only had males so my expertise is very limited..

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
She’s doing the jiggy on your finger.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Glad to hear it came through safely! I have a female as well, but she's never done that movement or laid an egg in the year since being with me (she is 2.5-3 yrs)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
If she is laying now make sure you provide her with vitamin supplements. She will need to recoup.

You want to do what you can to prevent this from ever happening.
Egg Binding | Beauty of Birds

I do not know the best option in your area, but you could call your avian vet and they may just give you some advice over the phone.

Fate

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Bill
Fate does these behaviours but she’s only 4 or 5 months old and recently started rubbing her head on my cheek I think a lot of these behaviours are linked to a bond or trust with the handler as well as the birds nesting cycle spring is on the rise