• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

female & male behavior with chicks and...

Heron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kendra
First question—this is my first experience with budgie chicks and a pair. I have a pair of budgies who have 4 chicks in the nest box. This is their first clutch. The female will not let the male near the nest box. She chases him away to the point where I leave the cage door open whenever I’m home so he can get out and not be constantly harassed. when I do have to be out of the house I now put him in an adjacent cage. he is very curious about the chicks in the box and trys to sit on top of the box or nearby. But the hen can be relentless about chasing him away Even though the box mounts on the outside of the cage and he’s just sitting on the top. He will also try and look in the box from the hole and she won’t allow that. He’s never seen the chicks but obviously can hear them. Is this in the realm of normal hen behavior? The chicks are a 2 1/2 weeks old now. doesn’t the male help feed chicks when they are around 3-4 weeks old? What to do if the hen won’t allow the male to participate?

Second question—- the hen laid 9 eggs total—7 fertilized eggs, there was a big gap between the first 3 hatching and the next 4. I took the first 3 to a woman who hand feeds babies when they were 3 weeks old. seven was too much for my hen, this is her first clutch. She is taking very good care of the remaining 4. originally I was going to have all the chicks go to the woman who will hand feed and she wants them. But I am considering keeping 2 of the 4 and co-parenting. As the hen is doing fine with these 4, if I take 2 out am I taking a risk that the hen will abandon the remaining 2. I’ve been told that it is risky removing 2. Actually I was told removing the first 3 posed a risk of abandonment but Jade, the hen was fine ( actually seemed relieved). She’s been a superb mom.

if I keep two to co-parent I have no idea how the male will be.
this is all new to me ( and the budgies) it was surprising that they mated as for a long while the hen barely tolerated the male and they had separate cages but spent out of cage time together. It’s only since they had eggs in a box that they’ve slept in the same cage. sometimes they choose to sleep in separate cages now too. well the hen chases the male out so he sleeps in a separate cage.

that’s a lot I know. I’m hoping for some advice from folks who have pairs and experience with babies etc... ohh both of these birds came to me as hand fed babies. the hen is about 2 yrs old and the male is about 3 months younger.

Attachments

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I have no idea why your hen suddenly hates the male, it sounds like they got a divorce :roflmao: :shy: Is it possible he’s not the dad? Do you have other budgies or did you recently get the hen?

I also don’t know if your hen would abandon the chicks if you co-parent. Out of all the experiences I’ve seen people have when they co-parent chicks I’ve never heard of the hen abandoning the chicks, though. I think a lot of owners/breeders actually start handfeeding/co-parenting at around 3 weeks anyway.

I only have (a little) experience in the actual handfeeding process though- I haven’t owned a bird since I was 7 years old (before the budgie I’m hand raising now) so I can’t help with the behaviors.

I do know that it’s a good idea to have formula on hand though just in case of an emergency. You should also start checking on the chicks a few times a day so the hen will get used to you, and may even let you hold them. If the hen lets you hold them, then I don’t see why she would abandon the chicks if you start feeding them too.

Good luck with them!! They’re so cute:heart:

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Sometimes budgie hens just aren't the best parents.

In the first pic, it looks like the middle chick is being plucked. He's missing a lot of downy feathers, and he should be a complete fuzzy little guy right now. Your hen is likely plucking those feathers out (it happens more often than you'd think!). If that's the case, remove the hen and let dad completely take over. He will finish raising the chicks on his own and will teach them all how to be a budgie.

Co-Parenting: I'm not a fan. If the parents are feeding the chicks with no problem, then there is no need for you to interfere with that. If your goal is to have hand tame chicks, then you can easily do this without the dangers of hand feeding going wrong.
The chicks are now at the perfect age for you to start handling them every day. You can take them out of the nest (one at a time, or even in pairs) for about 15 minutes to hold them, snuggle them, love them and let them get used to you. You can do this several times a day, and as they get older you can increase the time out of the nest. This is how I hand tame all my chicks, instead of having to hand feed 15 babies at a damn time (EEEK!)

Heron

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kendra
Sometimes budgie hens just aren't the best parents.

In the first pic, it looks like the middle chick is being plucked. He's missing a lot of downy feathers, and he should be a complete fuzzy little guy right now. Your hen is likely plucking those feathers out (it happens more often than you'd think!). If that's the case, remove the hen and let dad completely take over. He will finish raising the chicks on his own and will teach them all how to be a budgie.

Co-Parenting: I'm not a fan. If the parents are feeding the chicks with no problem, then there is no need for you to interfere with that. If your goal is to have hand tame chicks, then you can easily do this without the dangers of hand feeding going wrong.
The chicks are now at the perfect age for you to start handling them every day. You can take them out of the nest (one at a time, or even in pairs) for about 15 minutes to hold them, snuggle them, love them and let them get used to you. You can do this several times a day, and as they get older you can increase the time out of the nest. This is how I hand tame all my chicks, instead of having to hand feed 15 babies at a damn time (EEEK!)
Thank you very much for your input. I’ve never had budgies before these two. This is the first time these birds have had babies. I didn’t see that the chick was missing downy feathers and now that I’ve looked at a previous photo of them I can see, that indeed it is missing feathers. wow. She has seemed to be a good mom. Maybe it was just too much or she wasn’t as good a mom as I thought.

the dad doesn’t seem to have any idea what to do. When I tried to show him the babies he was afraid of them and was backing away. he hasn’t participated in feeding them, the hen wouldn’t let him near the box. she has done all the feeding and caring of the chicks. he has been very curious and wanted to check out what’s in the nest box but the hen won’t have it. Would he really just take over and know instinctively what to do if I remove the hen?

and I decided that fully co- parenting was not a good idea, I’ve never hand fed a baby.

I think that the best thing for these chicks is to let the woman who is hand feeding the first three chicks take these as well. The three she has already are doing great.