• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female lovie passed away :(

MiEf

Moving in
Hi guys, I would much appreciate your help with my lovie problem.

We bought 4 lovebirds last year (they were our first ones, black masked green were the boys and black masked in blue variation were te girls), they paired up nicely after some time but never bred and females never laid eggs.

A couple of months back we noticed one female, Pinky Beak, became ill, she wasnt able to fly at all and we took her to a certified vet, she had xrays done and poo samples and was diagnosed with Aspergillosis. We ve done all we were told by vet, changing diet completely, got a UV light and gave her the medication for a couple of months, she was getting so much better, she put on weight (she only weighed 20g in her worst
) she was able to fly bits by bits and yet, after 4 months since being diagnosed she passed away this morning. I found her at the bottom of the cage, she must have fallen out from their little snuggly hut at night I think

Her cage mate seems to be doing ok though, he saw her body so I assume he understands she s gone. They were very close, he was feeding her all the time and helping her when she was too weak and such. The other pair is in a seperate cage but we got used to putting them close to each other and they also had a lot of exercise and we let them fly around all four together. We re now thinking what we re going to do with the poor boy who s alone now -- i m not sure if we want to go down the route of getting a new girl for him -- it s never too certain whether they bond or not and i would need the third cage. Do you think he ll be ok with the other two lovies in another cage? Can he stay in his cage on his own? He s doing ok at the moment although it has only been a couple of hours -- he s eating (although less than he used to but tht might be because he was feeding PinkyBeak as well), chirping, sleeping.... They would often visit each other s cages as well and he tends to sit near the other cage so we were thinking maybe putting all three together? The other pair s not a breeding pair either, they are cage mates, a couple but they bicker a fair bit (never too aggressively).

I m really not sure but the idea of going through quarantine, waiting if they bond or not doesnt appeal to me too much but would go that way if need be. What do you think?

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have experience with lovies so I don't know what to suggest but just wanted to say I'm very sorry for your loss.

MiEf

Moving in
Thanks a lot. Yeah, she was a real character, too :(

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
So sorry for your loss :hug8:

Mariannee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm so very sorry! If it were me I would just keep their cages close together and give your little widower lots of extra attention as he adjusts.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
@Hankmacaw might shed some light on what you should know concerning asper. I am so sorry for your loss. :(
Lovies do bond very closely. I would make sure he knows how much you love him. If he saw you remove her, sometimes mates can get angry with the caretaker.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so very sorry for your loss. I would just leave him on his own for now. He will grieve even though it appears at first that he is not.

danadear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
I am so sorry for your loss.

MiEf

Moving in
Thanks so much guys, yeah, I think we ll just keep him on his own for the time being. He seems to be looking for her to preen her and regurgitating to feed her which he was doing a lot since she fell ill --it s really heartbreaking to see. None of them has been hand reared, the two green ones were from the shop and were actually very scared of us at the beginning, ladies were a bit braver but still, they hate to be handled so it s really hard to give him that extra attention - I d love to touch him and kiss him and all but he d certainly not like that! I m around his cage all day long because I m working from home so I just hope that helps...

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I am so sorry...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry that you lost your little Lovie. I wrote and posted this about Aspergillosis a couple of years ago. It is still relevant. The only thing being that they have developed methods of using Amphotericen B that is safer for birds (nebulization).

Aspergillosis (Sad Update) | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so sorry for your loss. :sadhug2:

MiEf

Moving in
Thanks for that info, I read a fair bit about Asper too, with my little one, it was a bit more complex also because xrays showed she had some small bits, possibly of lead or other heavy metal, lodged in her tummy. And, the vet was unable to take her blood for better testing because she was really tiny at the time. So whether it was a combination of those two, or maybe an overall failure of some of her organs, I ll never know... She must have suffered though, bless her. The other birds seem to be fine but they were given a course of Sporanox as a preventative measure. And yes, we also used nebulizer :(

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You and your vet did all there is to do. Sometimes, no matter how hard we fight, we still lose the battle.

Again I'm sorry for your loss.

Willow12

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holly
What a beautiful girl she is! so very sorry for your lost fly free Pinky!. :sad3: