• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

female lovebird laying eggs every month HELPPP

xoxsxndi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
no
Hi my love bird female lays infertile eggs every month or two and i’m extremely worried for her, she has already egg bounded once and I had to take her to the vet to get it removed, the vet suggested that i have my birds in separate cages which I have done for the last 7-8 months and I always watch when they are out of the cage and roaming around, so I don’t understand why she keeps laying eggs every month.

brdfvr

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
Hi my love bird female lays infertile eggs every month or two and i’m extremely worried for her, she has already egg bounded once and I had to take her to the vet to get it removed, the vet suggested that i have my birds in separate cages which I have done for the last 7-8 months and I always watch when they are out of the cage and roaming around, so I don’t understand why she keeps laying eggs every month.
Usually egg binding is a symptom of not having enough calcium. Does she have a cuttlebone available at all times. Maybe cover the cage for part of the day to give more hours of darkness as laying is usually triggered by day length. With winter coming, she should slow down or stop all together

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Some birds just don't know when to quit no matter what you do. I took away any and all hidey holes, limited shredding material, gave strict bed time and limited seeds. Nothing worked. She took to carving a nest in her platform perches and building it up with carrot pieces. In the end, I had to get my hen suprelorin implants to stop it. She was so deficient and fragile that the vet broke her pelvis doing a routine physical (I was there, it was gentle!). Since the implants in March, there have been no eggs, which is a record for her.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Usually egg binding is a symptom of not having enough calcium. Does she have a cuttlebone available at all times. Maybe cover the cage for part of the day to give more hours of darkness as laying is usually triggered by day length. With winter coming, she should slow down or stop all together
Cuttlebone isn't overly helpful. If she's laying that much there's just not much that can be done to keep up. That being said, I think dosing with liquid calcium would be smart.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would definitely try some changes, but if they don´t work, then you may have to go the route like Lunalovebird did.

14 hour bedtime, in darkness and quiet
Daytime but be nice bright daylight
No nooks, beds, huts, hides
Increase foraging, once she´s figured it out, make her forage for all of her food.
Frequent cage shuffle ( I would go for weekly), moving all toys, perches, food/water bowls, even moving the cage location if possible, even if only a few inches or rotated

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Good Luck!