• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female linnies

Flyby

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
I’m about so acquire 2 baby Linnies as I know they are social birds. They are 2 females. Has anyone else got experience of having 2 females together

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a single 3 year old female, Gigi, when I bought another young female. The baby was intensely interested in Gigi and followed her non-stop. Gigi was perhaps afraid and eventually the baby began to bully her. At the end Gigi was unable to eat without the baby chasing her off. After 3 months that baby was returned to my friend, the breeder, and she went on to bond with a male and have a clutch of babies herself. So my experience was terrible and if I'd have the chance to do it again, I would choose a male partner and just intervene if eggs were produced. I think 2 males are often a better bet too.

But with that said, if these 2 girls have been together perhaps it will work out well. Linnies are often sweet and gentle and get along well with all other Linnies. My experience might have been an unfortunate exception. Now at 5 Gigi is fine and seems content as a single bird. We are retired and give her lots of attention.

Good luck and we need pictures!

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
I have two girls who live together in my flock. They are not related, different ages, and came to me at different times. They warmed up to each other and get along very well. They've been together with the others for about a year now , no problems.