• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female finch keep throwing her eggs away 10+ times now???

S_Sophia_S

Moving in
Real Name
Samavia Sophia Saleem
Hey everyone! I hope you are in good health and enjoying summer <3

So, as the title of my posts says, my female zebra finch have been throwing her eggs away so they break when they fell down. She does not eat her egg but just throw it out of her nest. The male finch is going crazy because he keep making her new nest different places (my cage is a size of a small room so there's plenty of place) yet she keeps repeating this behavior. The do get their vitamins, minerals and also eat different salats, vegetables and nuts besides their normal bird food.

What should I do? She is healthy and energetic it's just this specific thing she keeps doing. Have anyone experienced this?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry I don´t know. I´ll give this thread a :bump4: though and hope someone else knows more about this...

S_Sophia_S

Moving in
Real Name
Samavia Sophia Saleem
I hope someone can help, since I'm losing my mind

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I do not breed birds myself, and I do not have experience with your situation. You may find more specific info with your local finch society. Experienced finch breeders may have a better idea of what is going on.

I don't know the best solution. Maybe it would be better to remove nesting sites and materials. It may be healthier for her to take the season off. You can always try again. Another thought is if there is something scaring her, as an example, are their any outdoor cats who walk by her window at night? Or something else similar? It is her biological process which causes her to lay an egg. She can't control that. It may be that she is not ready to nest. I would try to respect her needs in this. She is making the choice to reject the eggs, maybe she doesn't want to be a parent this season. I am unsure if she has been a parent in the past?

S_Sophia_S

Moving in
Real Name
Samavia Sophia Saleem
hey, sorry for my late reply. Somehow I dont get mail notifications when someone reply on my posts.

Yes, I did contact the vet and they basically said the same. I have removed the couple to another seperate cage where they canbe in peace.