• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female Cockatiel Help

What is the chance that a female will have issues?

• More than 50%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I am looking to purchase a cockatiel, and I would really like to have a a female because I live in an apartment and would prefer a quieter bird. I hear a lot of stories about females who lay tons of eggs or have egg binding issues, and I would like to know: how big of a chance do you think it is that a female will have reproductive issues? Is it with most females, or just a small percentage? Thanks in advance.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think it's more common for a female cockatiel to be a chronic egg layer than with other types of parrots but I would say most female tiels are not chronic egg layers. Does that make sense? And often, egg laying can be controlled by simple steps- no nesting materials, frequently switching up the cage, increasing hours of darkness, etc. I wouldn't let the concern of egg laying, etc. stop you from getting a female tiel.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Hen cockatiels are a little quieter and a lot more interactive than coco birds, in my opinion. And egg laying can be managed, as Laura wrote.

I recommend you go see all the birds available and just let one of them pick you!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I have three females ages seven, five and two. Only one (so far) has laid one clutch of eggs. Most females never have any issues with egg laying. I also think that I wouldn’t let potential egg laying problems inhibit me from getting a female tiel.

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Thanks for the help, I had read the good, bad, and ugly thread, and it just got me worried that all females would have an issue, and after my conure died of egg binding, I was a little scared. I do plan on picking whichever bird chooses me, regardless of sex. :)

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I’ve had two females cockateils in my life my first olny laid a handful of eggs my second is a chronic layer, but I’ve take. My vets advice and give her good nutritional food and she had no problems laying them, like the others have said some females never lay.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Just a comparison...

Puck lived with us 12 years...3 clutches of eggs...no male present.

Ziggy lived with us 5 years...4 clutches of eggs...bonded with Igor.

Goalie lived with us 26 years...laid 1 egg twice in that time...had numerous opportunities to bond with males..never did.

Hopefully you find the right bird for you soon...and more importantly, that bird picks you...:heart: ;)