• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Female cockatiel acting weird

Daniell

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
So I just noticed Jamie sitting in her food bowl, shaking her wings and squeaking softly. Does anyone know what this means? I first thought that she was trying to lay an egg but now I'm super worried that she might be sick.

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Sounds like hormones to me

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I just noticed Jamie sitting in her food bowl, shaking her wings and squeaking softly. Does anyone know what this means? I first thought that she was trying to lay an egg but now I'm super worried that she might be sick.
Keep a close eye on her and when in doubt always trust your instinct and see the vet. Can she be distracted from the behavior? Is she eating and drinking? Will she come out to play and fly? Have you checked her over? Have you checked her bottom if you think there may be an egg?

Daniell

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniel
Keep a close eye on her and when in doubt always trust your instinct and see the vet. Can she be distracted from the behavior? Is she eating and drinking? Will she come out to play and fly? Have you checked her over? Have you checked her bottom if you think there may be an egg?
She's been doing fine for the rest of the day, I couldn't get her to stop, even when I got close to the cage and talked to her, which is weird for her cuz she always gets super excited

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
She might be trying to lay an egg. Whenever there is a change in behavior that you are not sure about it does not hurt to have an
avian vet examine her. Egg binding is serious, if that is what is happening.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds more like she was masturbating with the edge of the dish imo. But it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least feel her vent area gently and see if there's an egg.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
But it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least feel her vent area gently and see if there's an egg.
You know, everyone always says that. My Torrie Tiel has laid a bazillion eggs since Jan. So I've had a few opportunities to feel - I never feel the egg. Obviously it's just me.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You know, everyone always says that. My Torrie Tiel has laid a bazillion eggs since Jan. So I've had a few opportunities to feel - I never feel the egg. Obviously it's just me.
Interesting. Are you sure they're normal size eggs? I have a tiel who lays tiny yolk-less eggs and I can never feel hers.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Interesting. Are you sure they're normal size eggs? I have a tiel who lays tiny yolk-less eggs and I can never feel hers.
They look big to me! I’ll get a photo tomorrow.