• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female Canary makes nest, then takes apart

puchesgirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lois
Hello, we have a female canary, she has went thru a couple of times of laying eggs. We were told she was a male by the side of her metal clamp on ankle. But low and behold my son kept asking why wasn't he singing? So she is a female after all. We have no other birds. She started trying to build a nest and we removed anything in the nest that she could use. We felt bad and finally got some cotton, nest material, etc. She will make a nest, then break it down? Just wondering what might be causing that behavior. Any thoughts will be appreciated. We are new. She has been with us for a year ago July 4th of this year. She simply flew to my sons truck and he put his hand out and she jumped on it. We have had her ever since. Thank you so much.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:bump8:

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I love canaries they are one of my favorite birds. I tried to rescue a stray canary a few days ago but I wasn't successful capturing it. Well done on catching her. You should get her a male.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
That is how I got into pet birds, it all started when I found a budgie on the curb. I picked him up and took him home with me and at the time I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep him. I did some asking around the area to see if anybody had lost a budgie but nobody came forward so I bought him a cage and some other bits then I later rescued a female budgie to put with him but after some time went by I discovered that budgies are way too noisy and there constant squawking and screaming it got too much for me so I found them new homes. I felt sad about it but at the same time I had to think about my sanity. I then got some zebra finches and built a huge aviary for them in my living room and I also got some canaries. They make such nice sounds its relaxing to listen to them and watch them. Finches and canaries are perfect. I do still think about my budgies, if I had a larger house to where I could escape the noise then I would have budgies in a heart beat.