• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Female budgie with swelling above cloaca

QuinnsFlok

Moving in
Real Name
Laurel
Hi all,

My 8yo female budgie Quinn has developed noticeable swelling like a bump above her cloaca. I first noticed it because she was standing differently, holding her wings in more of a downward angle instead of flat against her back. I examined her yesterday and the bump feels soft. I didn’t notice anything else. She is eating, pooping, and doing a little bit of her usual flying and playing with toys, but does seem a little sleepier and more puffed than usual. But she’s not puffed all the time, just when sleepy which has been most of today. I can get her in to an avian vet Thursday morning. My ultimate question is, should I take her to an emergency vet (non-avian but at an excellent animal hospital) or wait the appointment Thursday? Since she’s still eating and drinking, etc. I want to think she can wait but things happen to quickly with these little creatures. Also, she’s never laid an egg in her life, I don’t think that’s what it is but I’m no expert. She lives with a male budgie but they haven’t been exhibiting mating behavior lately. Any advice much appreciated!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It could still be an egg. How's her poops? Smaller? Larger? Wetter?