• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Female Budgie with slightly bulging vent?

Sienna

Moving in
Hi,

I have a breeding colony of budgies. One of the pairs have recently been going for it and the female has picked a box and is defensive over it (that said, another female budgie sat on it today and she didn't do anything). She has rearranged the bedding in the box.

But the first time I noticed it was two - three days ago - edging on 50 hours now - her vent looked red. It's only really noticeable when she leans forwards - by all means she doesn't look egg bound, but should I be concerned about her? She's active, defensive over her box and happily regurgitating into her partners mouth. She does spend a lot of time in the box, with her partner sitting on the perch and sometimes going in with her. Her droppings are also a little large/runny. Hard to moderate as she's with 6 other budgies, but I managed to watch her long enough to see one (image below).

None of my budgies are tame enough to be handled. They come close to me but I don't want to infringe in their space. I also tend to leave their boxes alone for the same reason. I'm just concerned how long it's been red for.

(Cage is large with limitless food, often with greens. Many toys and perches. I have had these birds for about three weeks. Seven breeding boxes and only three females, so no stress on that front. All at the same height.)

_1020056b.jpg _1020061b.jpg _1020064b.jpg _1020073b.jpg Inked_1020075_LIb.jpg

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
In the second picture it does appear that her vent is slightly larger than normal, but in the rest of the pics it's hard to tell.

There are many dangers to colony breeding, especially if you have only had these birds for three weeks. This is definitely not enough time for you to do enough research into breeding, and to learn as much as you can before going into this adventure. I do not agree with colony breeding for many reasons.

Please read this link and rethink your plans about colony breeding.

Cage And Colony Breeding Differences And Dangers - Cute Little Birdies Aviary

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If she's acting normal, she's probably ok. When my GCC lays eggs, there is a very obvious bulge for up to a week before she lays. If she is acting normal and pooping pretty much normally (the larger poops are ok) then I'd just leave her be. Do keep a close eye on her though, if she does get eggbound, that needs to be treated quickly.

Sienna

Moving in
She's laying now, and going really well! She's waiting for a few more before she sits on them. I think that she might have just plucked at the stage the photo was taken, as she was more swollen for two days after that.

At this point I don't think colony breeding is bad. I live in rural Australia and it's pretty common practice. I personally don't like cage breeding because they're so confined - when I looked into the aviary size I saw someone had put 15 breeding pairs in a cage my size... I have two. I think that they're so overcrowded they have no choice. I did do a lot of research before I got them, including talking to breeders (I got them from multiple places to ensure genetic diversity) so I really think all the problems can and have been overcome.