• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female Budgie Laying Eggs Without a Male

Ram

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Ramira
So my cousin gave me two budgies. At first I thought they were male and female because one of them is really active and the other is just chilling and their Ceres looked different, but now their Ceres looks similar. They started laying eggs and one of them is always out the nest and the other one never leaves the nest and just sits on her eggs. I was excited to see baby budgies but I saw somewhere in the internet that the eggs aren’t fertilized if there’s no male involvement :crycry: I just want to make sure that this is true so that I would stop hoping to see baby budgies:sad9: FDEB8448-ADD8-4B61-BD75-24611CE39D17.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Eggs must be fertilised by a male bird to be viable. If you have two females you’ll get no babies which is actually probably a blessing for you and any other inexperienced bird keepers. Way too many things go wrong with breeding so it’s not advised unless you have a mentor, lots of free time, all the equipment needed incase things don’t work out (which they often don’t with pet birds) and a good basic knowledge of bird keeping and breeding. There’s so much to learn and prepare so I’m hoping for you that you do have two females.

Do you have proper confirmation from an AV or experienced bird keeper that you have two females?

Last edited:

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Sorry. With no male present the eggs are definitely not fertilized.
If you aren't 100% sure of the genders of your budgie then post a pic on here and we can help you identify it.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am guessing with the amount of eggs you have that you do have two females but it wouldn’t hurt to post a pic of both your budgies face on in good lighting so they can be positively sexed for you.

Ram

Real Name
Ramira
Eggs must be fertilised by a male bird to be viable. If you have two females you’ll get no babies which is actually probably a blessing for you and any other inexperienced bird keepers. Way too many things go wrong with breeding so it’s not advised unless you have a mentor, lots of free time, all the equipment needed incase things don’t work out (which they often don’t with pet birds) and a good basic knowledge of bird keeping and breeding. There’s so much to learn and prepare so I’m hoping for you that you do have two females.

Do you have proper confirmation from an AV or experienced bird keeper that you have two females?
Understood! Well from my cousin (she had lots of budgies for some years now), she said that she gave me male and female budgies, but from my research, I don't think it's true plus they do look like they're both pregnant like their bums have gotten big :sigh:.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree that they're both girls. How many days/ weeks have you had them? If they very recently moved to your home & your cousin had lots of budgies, is it possible they were housed with males?

Ram

Real Name
Ramira
You think they’re ready to lay again?
How long since they laid their first eggs?
It's has been 9 days and I think it's suppose to be their last egg today.

Ram

Real Name
Ramira
I agree that they're both girls. How many days/ weeks have you had them? If they very recently moved to your home & your cousin had lots of budgies, is it possible they were housed with males?
I had them for 2 months now so idk

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It's has been 9 days and I think it's suppose to be their last egg today.
I believe on average they lay between 4-6 eggs can be up to 8 and that should be done over approx 8-10 days.

How long have you had these girls at your house for? Edit: Just read your answer in the post after this one... you are having no babies hatching from any of those eggs which is a good thing really.

You earlier mentioned that you think they are going to lay again? Is their bottoms/vents swollen?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You earlier mentioned that you think they are going to lay again?
If it´s been 9 days of laying, then it could be their clutches are not complete ( if we say they have 4 each, or one has 5 the other 3).

Be sure your girls are getting some calcium rich veggies and pellets daily. You can offer a small amount of egg every few days.

Ram

Real Name
Ramira
I believe on average they lay between 4-6 eggs can be up to 8 and that should be done over approx 8-10 days.

How long have you had these girls at your house for? Edit: Just read your answer in the post after this one... you are having no babies hatching from any of those eggs which is a good thing really.

You earlier mentioned that you think they are going to lay again? Is their bottoms/vents swollen?
Yeah their bottoms do look swollen still, but I guess as Zara said they might not be done. I just feel bad that they're sitting on their eggs hoping for it to hatch :shakehead:.

Ram

Real Name
Ramira
If it´s been 9 days of laying, then it could be their clutches are not complete ( if we say they have 4 each, or one has 5 the other 3).

Be sure your girls are getting some calcium rich veggies and pellets daily. You can offer a small amount of egg every few days.
Yeah I've been introducing them to eggs and veggies lately, but I haven't try pellets yet. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What veggies have you had success with? One of mine has tried radicchio, but the other snubs all veggies.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'd remove the nest box along with the eggs. Laying eggs is itself risky so why take a risk with their health for infertile eggs. You may still get another couple of eggs but they should stop laying - the nest box is a stimulus. A break will also help them to recover.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just feel bad that they're sitting on their eggs hoping for it to hatch :shakehead:.
Once you are sure they have finished laying, give them a day or two rest then remove the box. No point them sitting if they don´t have to.

Ram

Real Name
Ramira
What veggies have you had success with? One of mine has tried radicchio, but the other snubs all veggies.
Just some leaves like spinach and lettuce, but other than that they do snub other veggies too.

Ram

Real Name
Ramira
I'd remove the nest box along with the eggs. Laying eggs is itself risky so why take a risk with their health for infertile eggs. You may still get another couple of eggs but they should stop laying - the nest box is a stimulus. A break will also help them to recover.
Alright, I didn't know this can harm them. Thank you for the warning!