• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female budgie laid eggs

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
Hi guys. So a few days ago, I moved my budgie to a small cage because she was being aggressive to her family. So now she laid 2 eggs. She laid them after a few days of being separated from her partner. She sits on them and I'm scared their going to hatch. Not sure if they are Fertile. What should I do? Plz help.

Thanks!

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Personally I would let her do her thing. What's the reason behind being scared they're going to hatch?

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
Hi guys. So a few days ago, I moved my budgie to a small cage because she was being aggressive to her family. So now she laid 2 eggs. She laid them after a few days of being separated from her partner. She sits on them and I'm scared their going to hatch. Not sure if they are Fertile. What should I do? Plz help.

Thanks!
Personally, I would boil the eggs and put them back. At this point its just a yolk and there’s no life in it yet. You’re not killing anything. Or if you can’t do that you would have to let them hatch. If they are fertile, that is. But if they do hatch are you ready? What if the mother abandons the babies (happens more often than you’d think)? You would have to syringe feed each and every one, day and night. You need brooders, extra cages and where would the babies go? Would you sell them, surrender them or keep them? It’s a lot of work and there are already more pet birds than there should be. Plus laying eggs may affect the mother’s health…

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Budgies don't replace lost eggs so you can safely remove them.

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
it's cause I already have 5 of her babies. If I can't find the ones she laid good homes, it would be a lot of work. I will candle them in 5 days but if they do show signs of life. I have her old Nestbox. She took care of her babies very well last time.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:chin:She's laid 2 eggs in 3 days so there could be more. What's going to happen if she lays a clutch of 5 fertile eggs that eventually hatch and you can't find homes for the other 5? You'll be left with twelve budgies including a pair that'll mate at the drop of a hat and only one cage large enough to humanely house 6, and a little cramped at that.
I'm sorry, but this isn't going to work. A lot of 'ifs' I know, but given the parents' history distinctly possible.

derin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Derin

Thanks!
if you catch them right when they're layed you can crack them or boil them so no baby develops.

Budgiessss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
marie
If they hatch, I will keep them but would need to find a good size cage

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you considered separating your birds by gender? That’s what’s recommended somewhere on this site by budgie breeders.

If you eat free range eggs, you’ve almost certainly eaten a fertilized egg now & then. I know it’s not ideal.

I think separating by gender would give you peace of mind to remove eggs. Others can advise you as to how many budgies per cage for each gender if you post your cage sizes/ what new cages to buy.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Your female was aggressive as she & her partner moved on from the prior 5 babies & were on to starting another family & she felt crowded.

She could still lay more eggs & they could hatch.

Now she does not have her partner to help so you can't be sure how she will take care of them this time.

She had a family & you have 5 babies so why not give her a break & give yourself one as you might have to care for them & find more homes.

Now you want to keep them all. They are all related so you will have to boil the eggs anyway in the future
as they will all be interbreeding & any viable offspring potentially genetically unhealthy.

You already have a situation with 5 babies so not sure why you want to repeat it.

Good Luck