• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female budgie going in shirts. Hormonal or normal?

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Hello everybirdy!

So my female budgies have both recently been going into my shirt’s sleeve and was wondering if this is hormonal behavior. When they are in my shirt, they just seem curious and go in my shirt and come out through the end/hem. They really enjoy this and always go in my shirt for fun. Is this normal or hormonal? They never regurgitate on me or show any signs of aggression, although Sky and Kiwi sometimes get annoyed at each other as they both really like my sleeve, although they are never aggressive when they are not in it. Is this some sort of nesting behavior and has anyone else experienced this? Any help is appreciated! :shy:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
The only time I've ever had birds nestle into a shirt sleeve (or pocket!) is when they are very young and used to being in a nest, a nice warm dark spot.

If your females are mature and burrowing, then I would suspect that this is hormonal. Are they in breeding condition at the moment? If so, I would discourage this behaviour and make sure there is nothing else in their cage that could be mistaken for a nesting spot.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
The only time I've ever had birds nestle into a shirt sleeve (or pocket!) is when they are very young and used to being in a nest, a nice warm dark spot.

If your females are mature and burrowing, then I would suspect that this is hormonal. Are they in breeding condition at the moment? If so, I would discourage this behaviour and make sure there is nothing else in their cage that could be mistaken for a nesting spot.
No, I am very knowledgeable on what kind of toys or areas would be viewed as a nesting spot in my budgies perspective. So, They have no snuggle huts, no dark small areas, no petting on their back, no nests, etc. Their aren’t in breeding condition and aren’t showing any signs of hormonal or aggressive behaviour except when one bird is in my shirt, and the other gets jealous, they have a little argument. They don’t sit there or look like they would in a nest, they are just very curious. Although, if you think they might be hormonal, I will keep them from going there. thanks for the great reply.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Forgot to mention that they like to go in pockets too. These are the only two places they go inside. When they do that, all I see is them enjoying hanging from the Pocket or intrigued by the place. Again, I will definitely break this behaviour before it becomes something unhealthy. :)