• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

female bourke

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
my female bourke Gracie is squatting down and lifting her tail in the air, does that mean she wants to breed. I hope not they are siblings. I do not want to breed birds, I also noticed he is feeding her,should I separate them?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry I have no knowledge of bourkes.

I hope not they are siblings. I do not want to breed birds, I also noticed he is feeding her,should I separate them?
I have a male female bonded pair of lovebirds who are siblings. They preen, mate and are happy. I would never split them but I won´t let them produce offspring either. As long as you remove any eggs, then if they are happy, leave them together?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yup... sounds like she's in the mood! You can try changing around the cage some or perhaps the diet to see if you can get her out of the mood for breeding.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
Yup... sounds like she's in the mood! You can try changing around the cage some or perhaps the diet to see if you can get her out of the mood for breeding.
I will definitely try that, as I have said before I don't want them breeding, I understand if you put a Male and a female together it's bound to happen but I felt so sorry for them, their cage was so small, it was just cruel.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don't want them breeding, I understand if you put a Male and a female together it's bound to happen

Breeding is sexual reproduction that results in offspring.

So by you having your male/female siblings together, mating is likely to happen, but breeding can always be prevented - all you have to do is remove eggs.

I have two bonded pairs of birds. They are sexually active but we won´t be having any chicks. I have dummy eggs for my birds because the hen gets stressed if I remove her eggs. (The younger ones, the siblings haven´t laid any eggs yet).
I´m not sure if you would need dummy eggs for your birds.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Years ago, I did have two bourkes that were siblings, but had them for such a sort time that there was no breeding between them. Later on, had sibling cockatiels that did mate, but the female never laid any eggs. Found them separate homes and kept their parents to live out the rest of their lives.

There are more steps that can be taken if necessary, although it's usually nice just to be able to change one or two "small" things and discourage the behavior.