• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female Blue Front Amazon, Roxie - looking for her next home

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Hello everyone,
I have not been here for ages. Many years ago, I posted a similar thread to find a home for my red-lored amazon. A wonderful opportunity came through for us.

As I age (and become caretaker to my declining parents), I need to downsize again. I adopted Roxie from Phoenix Landing. Thus, the adoption process needs to go through them. I wanted to try networking here.

My sweet Roxie was what I call a foster failure in 2009. I did try placing her once in 2016. It did not work out and she found her way back. In total, she has been with me for over 10 years! Phoenix Landing feels that she may be as old as 40. She is in terrific shape. No arthritis or cataracts. No current medications. She is on the smaller side at about 350 grams. Her feather coloration is still brilliant. She has been lovingly cared for in my home. Roxie seems to prefer a woman caretaker. She also has the typical amazon tendency to over-bond to one person.

She is located in central North Carolina and has her own cage. I have adored this bird. I need to be clear that she is not an "easy" family pet. She is a terrific companion for the right home that understands her species specific behavior.

I appreciate this group and your help in networking. If you are interested, see the Phoenix Landing information. I may forget to check out here so you can also reach me at:

jen@phoneixlanding.org

Thank you!
Jennifer

Pet Finders - Roxie

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's beautiful. I am sorry you have to rehome her.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks for the diligence on this site. I read this and was not sure what it meant to sign it. I am here networking for my Roxie. She was adopted through an organization and will require similar steps prior to moving to a new home. I can answer questions and advocate for her here.

I had such good fortune finding a good home here for my red-lored several years ago. I figured I would come back and reach out again.

I have been a parrot person for almost a quarter century now! I still have 5 birds - all the same ones I had when I used to come out here 5 years ago. I adore amazon parrots but little Roxie came after my two CAGS. In order to balance my home for the future, I seek to place her rather than my greys. I just keep aging! And I've had a very long haul with my parents in a nursing home...

I hope someone sees this out here and "gets it". She is so cool. She is probably 40 years old which makes her more precious.

Thank you. I will check in and add pictures. She is a gorgeous bird and very silly. She plays well in her cage and eats a good diet too.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Jennifer I'm so so sorry.

For what it's worth, I think Phoenix Landing insists upon vetting and approving the new owner. At one point I was considering an Amazon that was at Phoenix Landing but since I'm in Missouri, I didn't live in their area and wouldn't have been considered.

Why don't you look into their area of consideration and post that on this thread.

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Jennifer I'm so so sorry.

For what it's worth, I think Phoenix Landing insists upon vetting and approving the new owner. At one point I was considering an Amazon that was at Phoenix Landing but since I'm in Missouri, I didn't live in their area and wouldn't have been considered.

Why don't you look into their area of consideration and post that on this thread.
Hello and thank you for your reply. I have worked on and off with Phoenix Landing for a long time. The main area of operation is in the mid-Atlantic states and Florida. With the pandemic, we shifted to on-line classes and virtual home visits. Pretty much everything can be done remotely and it seems to work well.

Phoenix Landing can be very flexible as long as we believe we are matching the right bird to the right home.

I am glad to have this opportunity to spell this out on this thread. A dedicated animal person may be eligible from a distance. I have not spoken to Ann Brooks - I seriously doubt that we ever ship birds. But - I know that dedicated adopters may drive long distances to match up with their new bird. I have done this in another organization. Ann Brooks is willing to be open on case by case basis to make a good adoption.

Does this help? I hope so.

If you are interested in a super cute 40 year old blue front Amazon (Roxie) and you live outside of the mid-Atlantic region, you would need to demonstrate a bit more willingness/determination/dedication to make this happen - then it could happen!

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Hello everyone -
Phoenix Landing found Roxie a new home. I let her go with the adoption coordinator just this past Saturday (3 days ago). Wow - is this hard. I knew it was the right thing to do and would have to happen eventually. I guess it would have just gotten harder the longer I waited. Anyway, it will take some time for the heartbreak to subside. I trust that a good opportunity was found for her.
Thanks for being here~
Jennifer

emdeflavis

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, Jennifer -
We just lost our Blue Front Amazon who had been with us for 35 years since she was 6 months of age. We have been in contact with Phoenix Landing and it seems that Roxie is back up for adoption. We spoke with the regional adoption coordinator and are very interested in taking Roxie. Is there anything else you can tell me about her? Do you know what situation she came from before 2009? We are a retired couple and would offer Roxie the freedom of being out of the cage whenever we are home. In talking to the coordinator, Roxie seems to have many of the same behavior traits with which we are familiar. Anything you can tell me about her likes/dislikes, etc would be fabulous.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Poor Roxie....

Thanks Matthew.

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Hello, Jennifer -
We just lost our Blue Front Amazon who had been with us for 35 years since she was 6 months of age. We have been in contact with Phoenix Landing and it seems that Roxie is back up for adoption. We spoke with the regional adoption coordinator and are very interested in taking Roxie. Is there anything else you can tell me about her? Do you know what situation she came from before 2009? We are a retired couple and would offer Roxie the freedom of being out of the cage whenever we are home. In talking to the coordinator, Roxie seems to have many of the same behavior traits with which we are familiar. Anything you can tell me about her likes/dislikes, etc would be fabulous.
Hello,

I was not aware that Roxie was unsuccessful in her first attempt out of my home. This makes me a little sad but I am not totally surprised. I am thankful that someone here was out looking for a bird like her.

I have no idea where she came from in her past life. My understanding is that she was left at an animal shelter. She then bounced through 2 homes before she landed with me in late 2009. I think she is not atypical for a female blue-front amazon. She bonded strongly with me and showed some aggression towards any family (person or pet) who was too close by me. She also has what I call some neediness.

I suspect she was doted on by some other woman for a long long time. Perhaps that woman passed away and her kind family members could not keep her so took her to an animal shelter. I can imagine this woman having her out with her all the time and sitting in a separate room doting on her.

This is to say - I did NOT keep Roxie in the main space in my house. Roxie was a doll when kept in her own room. She played well with toys in her cage. She only sounded off a couple of times a day. I feel if she is kept in main space, she may yell to be with you much more. She forms what I guess is a mate-bond. It would take someone much more savvy at training than me to work this out - it is instinct and her pattern after many years.

I can tell you she will be successful with a woman who can handle her while setting a few boundaries. It would be lovely for her to spend more time out of her cage. She will not destroy things in your home like a grey or cockatoo. BUT - I really think she needs a room where she is not in the middle of your activities. She plays well with wood toys that are made for parrots, foot toys, etc. She enjoys an almond in the shell. She is delightful and cuddly. But her challenges are in her breed. She does mate-bond strongly with one person.

I am sorry for your loss. Roxie is gorgeous, silly, and charming. The only reason I let her go back out for adoption has too do with my own aging process (I have too many responsibilities and had to down-size for our greater good). If you can allow her to be herself and have your other family members appreciate her from a distance, she will be a blessing in your home.

I hope this helps. I am praying for dear Roxie to succeed. Please do let me know if this works out for you.

Best
Jennifer

Last edited:

emdeflavis

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,

I was not aware that Roxie was unsuccessful in her first attempt out of my home. This makes me a little sad but I am not totally surprised. I am thankful that someone here was out looking for a bird like her.

I have no idea where she came from in her past life. My understanding is that she was left at an animal shelter. She then bounced through 2 homes before she landed with me in late 2009. I think she is not atypical for a female blue-front amazon. She bonded strongly with me and showed some aggression towards any family (person or pet) who was too close by me. She also has what I call some neediness.

I suspect she was doted on by some other woman for a long long time. Perhaps that woman passed away and her kind family members could not keep her so took her to an animal shelter. I can imagine this woman having her out with her all the time and sitting in a separate room doting on her.

This is to say - I did NOT keep Roxie in the main space in my house. Roxie was a doll when kept in her own room. She played well with toys in her cage. She only sounded off a couple of times a day. I feel if she is kept in main space, she may yell to be with you much more. She forms what I guess is a mate-bond. It would take someone much more savvy at training than me to work this out - it is instinct and her pattern after many years.

I can tell you she will be successful with a woman who can handle her while setting a few boundaries. It would be lovely for her to spend more time out of her cage. She will not destroy things in your home like a grey or cockatoo. BUT - I really think she needs a room where she is not in the middle of your activities. She plays well with wood toys that are made for parrots, foot toys, etc. She enjoys an almond in the shell. She is delightful and cuddly. But her challenges are in her breed. She does mate-bond strongly with one person.

I am sorry for your loss. Roxie is gorgeous, silly, and charming. The only reason I let her go back out for adoption has too do with my own aging process (I have too many responsibilities and had to down-size for our greater good). If you can allow her to be herself and have your other family members appreciate her from a distance, she will be a blessing in your home.

I hope this helps. I am praying for dear Roxie to succeed. Please do let me know if this works out for you.

Best
Jennifer
Hi, Jennifer - Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly and for the detailed information. We are probably going to be sending Ann a note maybe this evening that we will take the plunge with Roxie. She sounds well worth giving her the chance. We can't help thinking this could have been our beloved Jabber outliving us. Jabber was strongly mate-bonded to my husband but was very accepting of most everyone else. I was her playmate, though she would not let me scratch her head. So we totally understand.

We have been told that if we take Roxie, they can get her to us the weekend of June 10th. Feel free to check in with me and/or I will let you know how it goes once she get settled.
Regards,
Edna

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Hi, Jennifer - Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly and for the detailed information. We are probably going to be sending Ann a note maybe this evening that we will take the plunge with Roxie. She sounds well worth giving her the chance. We can't help thinking this could have been our beloved Jabber outliving us. Jabber was strongly mate-bonded to my husband but was very accepting of most everyone else. I was her playmate, though she would not let me scratch her head. So we totally understand.

We have been told that if we take Roxie, they can get her to us the weekend of June 10th. Feel free to check in with me and/or I will let you know how it goes once she get settled.
Regards,
Edna
Thank you for letting me know. This will be so different than your sweet Jabber. I know you heard all that I said. Roxie will want a woman to bond with, I am almost 100% certain. It is likely that your husband may only interact with her while she is in her cage. He can make friends and give her treats, but she is kind of single minded.

I tried once before in 2016 and she showed the same patterns with a lovely gay couple. She choose one of the two ladies - strongly. They gave her back to Ann and I got her back. I can't get her back this time. so - Do be careful. I loved her a LOT for 12 years and am praying for her to succeed in another loving home.

Bless you!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Would love to know also.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu

Regards,
Edna
How is Roxie settling in?

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Hey everyone -
Roxie had two trials where she did not quite "fit in". Phoenix Landing was monitoring her and found her a third prospective home. I am happy to report that the third try was a charm! The director contacted me to let me know that she was fully adopted. I will not know the new home. Part of the agreement in PL is to keep anonymity. Since I know the director well and I "fostered" Roxie for 12 years(!), she was happy to share this result with me. I guess this home has 2 other amazons. AND - Roxie has made a good buddy of one of them!
Holy cow! She just needed the right match after all these years to be able to make friends with someone other than her one and only person (mate bond).
I am thrilled and wanted to share this as a fine example of what it can mean to let go because your pet will do better in a different situation.
Thanks for keeping this forum active. I appreciate that you guys are invested in helping the parrots and each other.
Jennifer

Attachments

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I am so happy Roxie found her "forever home" where she can be with her new flock.
You did great with her. She looks happy and content. :)