• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female behavior?

b.fauz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandon
Hey guy’s, So I’ve had “Oscar” almost 4 years now since he was 5 months old and was told he was DNA tested male.Now he’s becoming sexually mature and seems to be displaying female behavior? This is only the second time he’s done this and first started after we got home from a 4 day trip which definitely calmed his hormones.He’s been hormonal about 3-4 months now I think, I definitely remember starting to notice the aggression starting around December or earlier and now the aggression has almost completely stopped and I think he’s starting to see me as his mate.I took this video to show you what I mean and just to point out he never ever lets anyone scratch his head, only the beak and neck area.So should I start coming up with girl names or could he just be confused.

Attachments

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Hey guy’s, So I’ve had “Oscar” almost 4 years now since he was 5 months old and was told he was DNA tested male.Now he’s becoming sexually mature and seems to be displaying female behavior? This is only the second time he’s done this and first started after we got home from a 4 day trip which definitely calmed his hormones.He’s been hormonal about 3-4 months now I think, I definitely remember starting to notice the aggression starting around December or earlier and now the aggression has almost completely stopped and I think he’s starting to see me as his mate.I took this video to show you what I mean and just to point out he never ever lets anyone scratch his head, only the beak and neck area.So should I start coming up with girl names or could he just be confused.
Possibly you could have your parrot DNA sexed for yourself … It's not very expensive , before coming to conclusions.
Being told something without documents from a lab is iffy.

b.fauz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandon
Possibly you could have your parrot DNA sexed for yourself … It's not very expensive , before coming to conclusions.
Being told something without documents from a lab is iffy.
Is that possible to do right now?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes DNA tests can be wrong. Our one Cockatoo came back a boy in August, by Dec she laid an egg.

My Amazons were both DNA'd as boys. They are almost 11 and 13. If I see an egg, out of either in the future, then I will know they aren't!

My adopted Too us a girl, she's got the brown eyes and plays a few eggs now an then.

Hormonal behavior Iin Amazons can be vocal, I call it the jittery click, click lol.

I don't think you can sex any Amazon by their hormonal behavior unless one shows nesty behavior as in making a place to lay eggs as in tearing, shedding papers, boxes etc.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I don't really see that as female behavior but could very well be interpreted as 'sexual behavior' by you petting his head. The only way you can have complete resolution as to the sex of your bird would be to have another dna test done to confirm. When you bought him the seller should have given you the certificate of dna sexing from the lab they used. My female DYA will during her hormonal time lay more horizontal with her tail elevated when I touch her head only. At the onset of this behavior I simply don't even touch her head so as to not stimulate her in any way. My male, on the other hand....is quite a monster in his hormonal period. Careful with your hand for sure.... when they decide to bite it's the worst and they don't let go.

b.fauz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandon
Yes DNA tests can be wrong. Our one Cockatoo came back a boy in August, by Dec she laid an egg.

My Amazons were both DNA'd as boys. They are almost 11 and 13. If I see an egg, out of either in the future, then I will know they aren't!

My adopted Too us a girl, she's got the brown eyes and plays a few eggs now an then.

Hormonal behavior Iin Amazons can be vocal, I call it the jittery click, click lol.

I don't think you can sex any Amazon by their hormonal behavior unless one shows nesty behavior as in making a place to lay eggs as in tearing, shedding papers, boxes etc.
Oh I didn’t know that, he shreds a lot but no nests haha

b.fauz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandon
I don't really see that as female behavior but could very well be interpreted as 'sexual behavior' by you petting his head. The only way you can have complete resolution as to the sex of your bird would be to have another dna test done to confirm. When you bought him the seller should have given you the certificate of dna sexing from the lab they used. My female DYA will during her hormonal time lay more horizontal with her tail elevated when I touch her head only. At the onset of this behavior I simply don't even touch her head so as to not stimulate her in any way. My male, on the other hand....is quite a monster in his hormonal period. Careful with your hand for sure.... when they decide to bite it's the worst and they don't let go.
Do you recommend any DNA testing labs? I’ve gotten a lot of bites from him bone terribly painful and he never held on except for that one time on the lip as I was singing in his face haha

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Oh I didn’t know that, he shreds a lot but no nests haha
Are you asking about the video with the rump in the air? Could be a female, remember, head scritches only with birds. Stroking them all down their back suggests to them something naught lol!

b.fauz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandon
Are you asking about the video with the rump in the air? Could be a female, remember, head scritches only with birds. Stroking them all down their back suggests to them something naught lol!
Yes exactly, Are they still doing dna tests during this pandemic?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes exactly, Are they still doing dna tests during this pandemic?
You'd have to check and find out. Do you have an Avian Vet?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Do you recommend any DNA testing labs? I’ve gotten a lot of bites from him bone terribly painful and he never held on except for that one time on the lip as I was singing in his face haha
Your vet can run this test for you. You can also go to this site : download the forms, collect your own blood sample or fresh feathers ( pulled from the chest).. feather testing is more expensive. I haven't dna'd a bird in a very long time. Collecting a blood sample is done by cutting the quick of a toenail and letting it bleed onto a card which will be sent to their lab. Are you sure you want to do this by yourself? I'm thinking having your vet do it will be better...

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That would be very scary to do by yourself. I could never, ever do that. I'd be scared my bird would bleed to death.

My vet did the DNA test on my guys.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Mine are both DNA males. Secret was horrible during the first hormonal period. I had no clue about the hormones.

I've learned NOT to be singing, dancing, etc. close to my guys. They get excited and when the eyes pin, that's when I know I could get bit.

You will learn what to watch for.

b.fauz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandon
Your vet can run this test for you. You can also go to this site : download the forms, collect your own blood sample or fresh feathers ( pulled from the chest).. feather testing is more expensive. I haven't dna'd a bird in a very long time. Collecting a blood sample is done by cutting the quick of a toenail and letting it bleed onto a card which will be sent to their lab. Are you sure you want to do this by yourself? I'm thinking having your vet do it will be better...

I’d like to think I don’t need to know the gender but because I’m seeing what looks like female hormonal behavior I’m questioning it and it’s making me curious haha, I think I’d have to do it myself since the nearest avian vet is in another county, I’m in Dublin, Ireland and I don’t think we’re allowed cross the border right now but I could wait there’s no rush.He just seems like such a boy, He even talks like a boy in a cartoonish voice ever since I got him and his only words back then were “step up” and something else but he doesn’t say those words anymore

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I googled DNA testing parrots in Dublin, Ireland and came up with this link.. however, I'm going to tag someone for you that may have more information for you. He raises caiques and I'm sure he sexes his birds.

@Irishj9

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Your vet can run another DNA test for you. But if you want my honest opinion, your stimulating him. Male or female it works the same way. According to your video.
Rubbing down the spine or back of bird along its back to the tail is like stimulating a mini orgasm for the bird. Whether it's male or female. ( pardon the wording, no other way to honestly describe it).
I have two males and they exhibit the same as your video if you stroke them right.
Your welcome to get a DNA test again, but I think you'll find the original is correct.

b.fauz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandon
Your vet can run another DNA test for you. But if you want my honest opinion, your stimulating him. Male or female it works the same way. According to your video.
Rubbing down the spine or back of bird along its back to the tail is like stimulating a mini orgasm for the bird. Whether it's male or female. ( pardon the wording, no other way to honestly describe it).
I have two males and they exhibit the same as your video if you stroke them right.
Your welcome to get a DNA test again, but I think you'll find the original is correct.
I know that which is why you didn’t see me touch his back in the video? I only scratched his head which I wouldn’t have been able to do if he wasn’t already in the “mood”, I know when to expect it now because he flys onto the bed and crawls on top of me which is unusual for him and then starts making those noises but I’ll just move him back to his cage or swing whenever he does this as I just made the video to show exactly what’s going on :)

b.fauz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandon
animalgenetics.eu, This seems like a good one I think I’m gonna go with them