• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feet looking less crusty after misting

Eqiine

Meeting neighbors
Hey!

I just wanted to share a bit of my surprise. (In retrospect, this is so glaringly obvious).

I’ve started misting my Tiel down every day or so (it’s starting to really warm up here) and I’ve just realised how much better her feet look. They used to be scaly and dry-looking, but now they look super hydrated and nice. Before this I’d never bathe her (she hates water, but will tolerate a misting without stressing and I make sure she has lots of treats after to reward her).

I guess all she needed to fix her ugly feet was some water lol

Side-note: Do anyone elses Tiel’s smell horrible when wet? I normally love her smell, but until she’s dry she smells so bad.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lol, I tell my birds they smell like wet dogs when they are wet. I find the budgie and the cocky smell worse than my macaw does when he is wet- I also find their dry scent no where near as pleasant as my macaws.

The water is very helpful for their skin and feathers and also keeps the dust to a minimum- maybe up the misting to twice a week if she will tolerate it.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Lol, I tell my birds they smell like wet dogs when they are wet. I find the budgie and the cocky smell worse than my macaw does when he is wet- I also find their dry scent no where near as pleasant as my macaws.

The water is very helpful for their skin and feathers and also keeps the dust to a minimum- maybe up the misting to twice a week if she will tolerate it.
Omg wet dog fur smell is the worst! It gets in my nostrils and that's all I can smell for hours.
I didn't realize cockatiels had a bad "wet" smell to them too.
:wtf:

outmaww

Meeting neighbors
Hey!

I just wanted to share a bit of my surprise. (In retrospect, this is so glaringly obvious).

I’ve started misting my Tiel down every day or so (it’s starting to really warm up here) and I’ve just realised how much better her feet look. They used to be scaly and dry-looking, but now they look super hydrated and nice. Before this I’d never bathe her (she hates water, but will tolerate a misting without stressing and I make sure she has lots of treats after to reward her).

I guess all she needed to fix her ugly feet was some water lol

Side-note: Do anyone elses Tiel’s smell horrible when wet? I normally love her smell, but until she’s dry she smells so bad.
Yes! My dry cockatiel smells very good to me (dusty in a nice way; describing it never works), but absolutely horrible after she's bathed. She loves taking showers, so I have to tolerate the wet tiel smell a lot :p
Glad to hear your bird is nice and hydrated!

Eqiine

Meeting neighbors
I plan to! While she doesn’t love it, she doesn’t run, scream, or present any behaviours of being upset or stressed, and since she will tolerate misting I’ll try and get her to like it more with lots of treats and praise.