• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeding the Wild Birds

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Are you a birder too? :cantsee:

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
I think this is a great reference.

View attachment 373959
Even though I have birds of my own I ALWAYS feed the birds outside I feed them this wild bird seed, there is sooo many birds in my backyard its unbelievable I even saw 2 budgies and a hawk once its crazy. I buy a 20 lbs bag every week. It would be great to see more people do the same.

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Even though I have birds of my own I ALWAYS feed the birds outside I feed them this wild bird seed, there is sooo many birds in my backyard its unbelievable I even saw 2 budgies and a hawk once its crazy. I buy a 20 lbs bag every week. It would be great to see more people do the same.
Birding is a wonderful experience! Percy loves looking at the variety of birds we get in the mornings :D
We get blue jays and plenty of finches, as well as tits and chickadees!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I love feeding birds outside since i no longer have any inside.
Living in a senior apartment i must do it so no one sees me. The maintenance man chastised me one time when he saw me. Said for me to never do it again. It would draw other wild creatures to the building. Since that time i buy raw sunflower seeds so they are hard to see on the ground. The doves have a visit three times a day to eat. Then some small birds and a cardinal pair. There are a pair of doves that like huddling under the bushes below my windows all fluffed up to keep from freezing.

I now feed on weekends freely and on weekdays after staff leaves. One night i looked out and there wzs a fox eating the seeds. So close. Tried to get a photo but too dark and camera flash spooked it. Oh was this fox thin. I read later some people feed them in winter. Also that a fox attack on a human has never been recorded.

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
I love feeding birds outside since i no longer have any inside.
Living in a senior apartment i must do it so no one sees me. The maintenance man chastised me one time when he saw me. Said for me to never do it again. It would draw other wild creatures to the building. Since that time i buy raw sunflower seeds so they are hard to see on the ground. The doves have a visit three times a day to eat. Then some small birds and a cardinal pair. There are a pair of doves that like huddling under the bushes below my windows all fluffed up to keep from freezing.

I now feed on weekends freely and on weekdays after staff leaves. One night i looked out and there was a fox eating the seeds. So close. Tried to get a photo but too dark and camera flash spooked it. Oh was this fox thin. I read later some people feed them in winter. Also that a fox attack on a human has never been recorded.
Damn I feel sorry for you I would be devastated if I couldn't live with birds anymore, and we need more people like you in our community, the staff at your senior home and most people of this world could care less for animals just as long as they get their money from their dolphin shows, zoos,aquariums, circus shows etc. godbless and I hope you have a good rest of your day.:birdance:

Last edited:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great list Dianne. My daughter has clear feeders on either side of her door. Lots of action. Here's a picture I took yesterday.

1613866308159.jpeg

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
My yard has looked like a clip from the birds. We cleared some of the snow off on various surfaces outside and have been throwing seed out. With all the snow we have gotten there is not much food for the birds since they can’t dig down through it. :(

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
My yard has looked like a clip from the birds. We cleared some of the snow off on various surfaces outside and have been throwing seed out. With all the snow we have gotten there is not much food for the birds since they can’t dig down through it. :(
lmao my yard to, we have this shed and whenever I come in to change the food ALL the birds (about 50) swarm me and it's like the attic scene from the birds. :rofl:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I did not think those feeders with suction cups would stay in place! Beautiful cardnal.