• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeding schedule

Dulphinz

Meeting neighbors
Ok...so I'd like to hear from you experienced bird owners. Here is how my Coco's meals go:

Morning: bowl of fresh fruit. & fruit on skewer, when I leave for the day I give him about 15 Harrison's pellets.

Night: when I get home he gets a bowl of the following mix( beans, fresh cooked veggies, brown rice some dried fruits and veggies, a little applesauce mixed in. After that I give him a few treats and input a fe

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
It it would be helpful to know what kind of birdie?

Dulphinz

Meeting neighbors
Oops! That saved before I was done! Haha ok so after the treats I put a few pellets in his bowl in case his hungry after bedtime :). He is an 8 month old Ekkie. Anything I should add or change?

Thanks!

Dulphinz

Meeting neighbors
Also, once a week I give him an omelette with veggies for breakfast (with shell). I do want to try birdie bread as well! Shouldn't be giving him more raw veggies? I do put spinach in his dinner from time to time.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I am not an Ekkie expert, I'm sure someone will be along soon. I do believe they would require more fruit than, say, my greys, so that's probably good. Be sure to pick the fruit up and dispose IN TWO HOURS OR LESS, especially in summer. Bacteria. Harrisons are great pellets, I wouldn't restrict them. They can have access all the time.

birdy bread is a great way to get more veggies in. My birds go crazy for it. I put a lot of veg in. There is a good recipe on ParrotEnrichment.com/nutrition/recipes. I love that website. Kris Porter is very knowledgable and a clear communicator. Watch the spinach. It is not as good for parrots as say, kale or other greens. I don't give mine any at all, because there are so many better choices. I think the spinach is too high in iron or some other mineral. I can never remember.

also, I would leave the egg shell out. I know it has calcium, but unless you can reliably pulverize it, you risk getting a sharp piece in your ekkies throat or crop. Dangerous. There are products available from MSBS that is 100% pulverized egg shell. I would get that if you really want to provide egg shells. I used to, now I source calcium other ways.

i think you're doing a great job, just some tweaks maybe. Lets see what the Ekkie parronts think. Good luck!

Last edited:

Dulphinz

Meeting neighbors
Thank you much for your advice I will remove the spinach and the egg shell! Didn't realize it was dangerous:(. I thought I had read that that was a good thing.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you much for your advice I will remove the spinach and the egg shell! Didn't realize it was dangerous:(. I thought I had read that that was a good thing.
You're not wrong. It is in lots of places that its good for birds, you just have to watch those sharp edges, and I find, as many do, it's pretty hard to get rid of them.:lol: