• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeding pineapple GCC assistance please

Lyrics

Checking out the neighborhood
Please note: I am not the breeder, but I do all his hand feeding as he is physically incapable. He knows nothing about hand feeding so can’t assist. I’ve been hand feeding cockatiels for him since 2018 and have done a clutch? (having a brain fart as to what a family of baby birds is called ) of sun conures for him, all via syringe.

Sunday I picked up four pineapple gcc from him, they are 2-4 weeks old. I have had a heck of a time getting them to eat, but finally tonight I feel like we’re making some progress. While looking for advice on the web, I came across spoon feeding again, and decided I really want to try it. One of the videos I watched, the birds were pretty much feeding themselves, mom just held the spoon…that’s the one that made me want to try it. He can probably feed that way, so I ordered some of the spoons and they seem to prefer that over the syringe. I may just be forgetting but these guys don’t gape for food, or really seem to have much interest in it at all. They absolutely don’t scream for it (not that I’m complaining, I truly thought the sun conures were going to make me deaf ). I’ve been feeding beteeen 100°-105°F, but I just read a thread where someone said 111° and that they prefer it very warm, so I’ll up the temp and see if that helps, as well.

My question (besides any suggestions on getting them more interested in eating) is when do I put pellets (actually probably seeds for these guys) in the brooder? Right after feeding this morning, one of the youngest ones was pecking at and maybe eating poop off the brooder floor. Is it too early? What else should I introduce when I do introduce foods? The breeder feeds seed exclusively (please, I know it’s terrible, I feed Zupreem pellets to my B&G macaw and my ‘tiel. My keets have Zupreem but won’t even play in it, they are rescues and will only touch seed. I hand raised the cockatiel from 2-3 days old, and the moment he met pellets, he’s refused to touch anything else…no fresh foods, or green or yellow pellets for that matter. My macaw eats anything that won’t eat her first, EXCEPT Harrison’s . She came to me at 5 on pellets, and we didn’t have a wide variety of choices in Alaska back then, just Zupreem and Harrison’s.)

If I can get the conures on fresh foods, the breeder will definitely offer that (he may already, actually, but I know seed is his primary food), and he grows an organic garden almost year round. He won’t switch to pellets, I’ve tried. He will probably sell a few of these guys, though, so maybe I should introduce seed and pellets. Are cockatiel pellets ok? (Apologies for dumb questions, I know NOTHING about conures except that sun conures are insanely loud lol. Unfortunately it’s been a while since I had those and I cannot remember what and when I fed them.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wean my conure chicks onto Zupreem medium-sized pellets. The fruit blend is the one with the cockatiel on the bag. I use all of the flavor varieties in the size group because it gives the chicks broad exposure to different shapes and colors of pellet food. They are fruit blend, pasta, veggie, nut, and natural. My reason for that is when you start to offer the chick chopped fruits and veggies and cut stuff to the same small size, it seems to be an easy transition for them because it's close to the size and shape of the pellets. It's worked for me. I don't normally put pellets into the brooder because, at that age and size, the chicks tend to dump it over and if you use aspen shavings it's too easy for them to pick at the aspen and ingest that instead. Once they go into a cage I give them shallow bowls of food and water to start them eating solid foods.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I just read a thread where someone said 111° and that they prefer it very warm, so I’ll up the temp and see if that help
No. 111 is too hot you risk burning their crops.
104-105F is the temp you should use. Only differ from that if package instructions say you can - some are formulated so you can feed them 2 or 3 degrees cooler, but it is important to prepare as the manufacturer says.

Here is a link to a thread with some more hand feeding info in;

Brian addressed the food question above.