• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeding frequency

Frillbird

Meeting neighbors
Hello, in total, per day, how much food should a Dutch canary be fed? 1 tablespoon 2 tablespoons? Or just have food readily available for whenever he gets hungry?thanks.

Lunar

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Serena
Hello, in total, per day, how much food should a Dutch canary be fed? 1 tablespoon 2 tablespoons? Or just have food readily available for whenever he gets hungry?thanks.
I leave food and water in the cage all day because canaries and finches can't really get obese.

As long as they have a good cage space to exercise and hop around + letting them out of the cage.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Aoi♡

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
I leave food and water in the cage all day because canaries and finches can't really get obese.

As long as they have a good cage space to exercise and hop around + letting them out of the cage.
Yes I defintely agree canaries and finches both need water access all day if there is no water for 1 day they die.

If there is no food for 2 days then they die.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have even lost them when they didn’t have access to water for 3 hours. I would definitely give food access 24/7, and control the obesity by using quality food and providing enough space to fly for exercise.

Frillbird

Meeting neighbors
Hello, my canaries‘ health and safety is my number one priority. Pertaining to his watering, slightly off topic, what water dispenser would you go with? I ordered 3 different dispensers and none of them mount properly. For example below.Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Frillbird oh I hate when that happens. Personally I like the tube drinkers because the birds can’t make (as much) mess in them. Any of them are okay.

I order a slightly different tube for my flock. I’m always ordering because I drop them and they break. The place is The Finch Connections.

Frillbird

Meeting neighbors
@Frillbird oh I hate when that happens. Personally I like the tube drinkers because the birds can’t make (as much) mess in them. Any of them are okay.

I order a slightly different tube for my flock. I’m always ordering because I drop them and they break. The place is The Finch Connections.
On the Finch Connections site they have These
will it suffice?Thanks