• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeding changes

QuakerCraz

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
Hmm. I'm wondering if JoJo isn't liking the Zupreem Naturals too much. I do have Tropican samples and I gave him a couple nibblets to try and he crunched them up more willingly than the Zupreem. I'm going to get a bag of Tropimix this weekend since it has a mix of seeds and other stuff including the pellets and provide a small amount of that for JoJo to munch on throughout the day and then provide everything else as normal. Maybe he's going to prefer the Tropican pellets over the Zupreem ones. Also, I can see what people have said about the scent of Tropican pellets. Smells like banana laffy taffy. Not a bad smell in my opinion but it's pretty potent.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
When should I start taking the second formula feeding away? JoJo is doing great with eating solid food after about a week or so of taking the first feeding away(eating the Zupreen pellets and now taking to the Tropimix I got him for added variety). Should I start with reducing the feeding to half first? I know the last feeding that goes should be the evening feeding.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The hint that they might be ready to remove another feeding is that the bird isn't showing as much interest in it. Start by just giving a small amount or half a feeding for a couple of days. If he doesn't loose weight, or loses initially and then stabilizes without crying more, then you can try to completely eliminate the feeding. If you see another weight drop, or increase in crying, then you might need to add back at least half a feeding. Follow the same pattern for the other feedings. Let the bird be the guide. Don't eliminate a feeding unless the bird has already shown decreased interested in it. When you remove a feeding, continue offering a new bowl of adult food at the same time. Instead of an afternoon handfeeding, instead give him a bowl with a few fresh veggies and a spoonful of warm cooked mashed veggies at that time.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
Yesterday JoJo only ate half what he normally eats in formula for the afternoon feeding. I have two bowls of adult food he chews on quite a bit(the tropimix and zupreen naturals) along with the occasional freeze dried fruit attached to the side of the cage for him to find(he actually likes it and there's no sulfides or added sugars in the fruit, seems to like it better than the frozen berries I occasionally offer mixed with quinoa and oatmeal). I offer other various mixes as well. I'll see how much formula he heats over the next couple days and if it's no more than half, then I'll start making half as much and give him that. I feed him through the bars of the cage so if he walks away, I know he's not interested anymore. I don't case him with the syringe. He's usually eating other stuff right after.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
JoJo is on a half feeding in the evening now. He's eating and drinking(I caught him drinking actually) on his own quite well. I think in the next few days to a week he should be fully off formula. He may not be crying for it but I still give him the evening formula as a sort of nurturing thing before I take it away entirely. He loves the food I got for him even though it's a bit expensive. He loves tearing up millet spray and is chewing on his first ever toy. Not sure about the mineral block but I think he just needs to figure it out. He loves his veggies as well so I make up a bit for him to munch on. I think he likes the oven fresh bites cookies and bird food as well so I might get some more of those. Gonna try some nutriberries and avicakes that I got as samples and start getting him into foraging. I think I need to get one or two of those foraging skewers. I like the idea of those.