• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeding canaries eggs

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
My canaries haven't been fed egg from their previous owner and im trying to get them into the habit of eating 1 egg a week but the problem is they aren't eating from it, and I expected that because they haven't tried it before, but since they don't eat the egg because it doesn't look like food to them should I just chop the egg into little bits instead? please give me your recommendations and tell me if this is a bad idea.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You would only want each bird to eat a small piece of egg a week (unless you have a laying hen).
Mash it with a fork. You can try sprinkling some seed on top.

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
You would only want each bird to eat a small piece of egg a week (unless you have a laying hen).
Mash it with a fork. You can try sprinkling some seed on top.
thank you!, I've been trying to feed them egg for some time now and I'm positive this is gonna work. :birdance:

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
When I feed egg, I lightly sauté chopped veggies and scramble the egg in with them. Gives them a variety of textures and colors to play with.

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
When I feed egg, I lightly sauté chopped veggies and scramble the egg in with them. Gives them a variety of textures and colors to play with.
like cutting some greens and cutting some hard boiled eggs and sprinkle the eggs on top? i'll make sure to do that!

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
You can mash hard boiled eggs too. Thats what i do. With ehm.. biscuit? And sometimes vitamines etc. We call it “eggfood” which you can buy from the store as well. Then it has honey in it, etc etc. But selfmade is just as easy, and it allows you to add whatever you feel is needed.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Yep, I feed my finches and parakeets eggfood once a week. I use a commercial mix, but it is quite easy to prepare at home too.

The egg is mashed up and mixed with other ingredients. My birds love when I add seeds, of course. :D

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
Yep, I feed my finches and parakeets eggfood once a week. I use a commercial mix, but it is quite easy to prepare at home too.

The egg is mashed up and mixed with other ingredients. My birds love when I add seeds, of course. :D
tell me ingredients pls

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
tell me ingredients pls
I use CEDE eggfood which is available from various on-line distributors and also in some bird stores.

To make your own eggfood, there are various recipes available on-line. It is sometimes called soft food or egg and biscut.

Here are a couple of different recipes for eggfood intended for canaries:

A basic eggfood recipe involves hard-boiling an egg, then either chopping it up very fine or pushing the hard-boiled egg through wire mesh or a sieve to pulverize it into small pieces. Then you combine the egg with some kind of bread product to absorb moisture and add additional nutrients. Some people use crushed up biscuit or breadcrumbs. Other people will grind up pellets, since they already include many beneficial vitamins and nutrients. You can also add additional ingredients, like fruits and veggies, in limited quantity. Don't add too much or it will become too wet. Soft food is also an excellent way to give liquid medicines to your bird. Many birds love egg food and will eat it up, so you can mix liquid medicine and offer it as an easy way to get them to take important medicines. By getting them used to eating soft food while they are heathy, it makes your life much easier if they get sick.

Since egg-food is moist, you will want to treat it similar to fresh veggies - leave it in the cage for only a short time and discard any un-eaten portion after an hour or so. You can make a larger amount and either refrigerate or freeze it for later use. Or you can make small portions and feed immediately. If you only have a few birds, you'll want to portion it out, since they are unlikely to eat it all in one sitting.

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
I use CEDE eggfood which is available from various on-line distributors and also in some bird stores.

To make your own eggfood, there are various recipes available on-line. It is sometimes called soft food or egg and biscut.

Here are a couple of different recipes for eggfood intended for canaries:

A basic eggfood recipe involves hard-boiling an egg, then either chopping it up very fine or pushing the hard-boiled egg through wire mesh or a sieve to pulverize it into small pieces. Then you combine the egg with some kind of bread product to absorb moisture and add additional nutrients. Some people use crushed up biscuit or breadcrumbs. Other people will grind up pellets, since they already include many beneficial vitamins and nutrients. You can also add additional ingredients, like fruits and veggies, in limited quantity. Don't add too much or it will become too wet. Soft food is also an excellent way to give liquid medicines to your bird. Many birds love egg food and will eat it up, so you can mix liquid medicine and offer it as an easy way to get them to take important medicines. By getting them used to eating soft food while they are heathy, it makes your life much easier if they get sick.

Since egg-food is moist, you will want to treat it similar to fresh veggies - leave it in the cage for only a short time and discard any un-eaten portion after an hour or so. You can make a larger amount and either refrigerate or freeze it for later use. Or you can make small portions and feed immediately. If you only have a few birds, you'll want to portion it out, since they are unlikely to eat it all in one sitting.
thank you so much!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Hard boiled egg, biscuit, honey.. that would be the basic :)
then add some carrot (helps the red color be as red as possible) and maybe some other greens as well.

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
Hard boiled egg, biscuit, honey.. that would be the basic :)
then add some carrot (helps the red color be as red as possible) and maybe some other greens as well.
thank you and everyone who helped me out!, this was a serious topic because she used to just not take care of the eggs and put them at the bottom of the cage (yes they were fertile), I hope the next time she lays eggs shes gonna take care of them. hopefully.