• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeding Apples

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
If you clean the peel really well (I scrub with my vegetable brush, soap, rinse well) it should be fine. However, your bird might not eat the peel (my birds sometimes don't). You could peel it, but you still want to wash the peel really well anyway because slicing through the peel gets whatever is on the peel (dirt, pesticides, etc.) on the "meat" of the fruit. I hope that makes sense.... :)

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Another thing i sometimes do with my birds is slightly cook the apple in the microwave for 20 secs, ive found it makes it easier to digest. Canaries are quite small, so doing this might help!

Frillbird

Meeting neighbors
If you clean the peel really well (I scrub with my vegetable brush, soap, rinse well) it should be fine. However, your bird might not eat the peel (my birds sometimes don't). You could peel it, but you still want to wash the peel really well anyway because slicing through the peel gets whatever is on the peel (dirt, pesticides, etc.) on the "meat" of the fruit. I hope that makes sense.... :)
Does it make a difference if the apple is chopped, minced, in halves, quarters etc. ?

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does it make a difference if the apple is chopped, minced, in halves, quarters etc. ?
However they can eat it. Minced up very fine normally works well for canaries although I do know of several in aviary type settings that will go for a whole peeled one hung from the ceiling. A good friend who breeds small finches serves her flock applesauce because hers don’t forage that well.

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award