• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

FEEDING AND WATER CUPS?

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I have been using plastic feeding cups for both pellets and water since I’ve had Kai (just under 16 months). It recently came to my attention that these plastic cups may be bad for Kai’s health and I should only use stainless steel. I didn’t know this. Any feedback would be appreciated.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
If you have the means go ahead and upgrade. If not using plastic IMO is fine just make sure you clean it well and often. The biggest issue is bacteria so if you don't clean it really well plastic can harbor bacteria easier than stainless steel. That's where it all really stems from. SS will make your life easier not having to worry about it but if you can't afford it right this second I wouldn't lose sleep over it :xflove:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I think what's more important is the shape. When you have corners, they're harder to clean. I like the acrylic crocks (Lixit is one brand) as well as SS bowls.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Plastic tends to hold onto bacteria more because as it is used and cleaned, the surface loses that smooth feeling and instead gets textures that hold onto bacteria. I personally only use glass, ceramic, or stainless steel because they are less prone to this. However, as long as you are replacing often and washing well, the risk is mitigated.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
If you have the means go ahead and upgrade. If not using plastic IMO is fine just make sure you clean it well and often. The biggest issue is bacteria so if you don't clean it really well plastic can harbor bacteria easier than stainless steel. That's where it all really stems from. SS will make your life easier not having to worry about it but if you can't afford it right this second I wouldn't lose sleep over it :xflove:
Thank you for your reply. For Kai’s safety and my own piece of mind I decided to upgrade.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Plastic tends to hold onto bacteria more because as it is used and cleaned, the surface loses that smooth feeling and instead gets textures that hold onto bacteria. I personally only use glass, ceramic, or stainless steel because they are less prone to this. However, as long as you are replacing often and washing well, the risk is mitigated.
Thank you for replying. For Kai’s safety and my piece of mind I decided to invest in stainless steel.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I think what's more important is the shape. When you have corners, they're harder to clean. I like the acrylic crocks (Lixit is one brand) as well as SS bowls.
Thank you for your reply. Stainless steel it is.