• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feed me!!

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Both my budgies are very interested in my parrotlet Pichu, who doesn't want to have anything to do with them... But here is the thing:
The other day Pichu -who is tame- was eating on the table with me, when Merlin -who is not tame and usually stays away- landed on the table. I thought he would go for the bowl with the food, but no, he walked around the bowl and toward Pichu, who had run away to my hand in hope that Merlin wouldn't come too close. But here came Merlin, trying to tape Pichu's beak to get food from him..?
Pichu of course didn't agree and jumped on my hand then back to the bowl. Merlin kept coming and going around the food and to Pichu's beak. Some times he would take a break and get some food himself but mostly he was after Pichu.

Pichu is afraid of him I think, but they have some sort of a relationship nonetheless. Merlin is allowed to land and is tolerated in a range of 20 cm without Pichu launching at him or running away. Nova doesn't have that kind of privilege, Pichu will go and chase her as soon as she is close by. She is also more blunt, like she usually flies right at him, nearly trying to land on his head instead of a more civilized approach like Merlin who lands at some distance and walks the rest carefully.

Strangely enough, it was the same with my other parrotlet (Pichu's older brother, the two never met). Although Twitter was actively flying to the budgies to bully them, he was also much more tolerant of Merlin, which really was too bad because Nova had a crush on him..

What do you make of this? Why would Merlin suddenly want Pichu to feed him?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m not sure why, but I would keep them away from each other. If Pichu loses his temper, your budgies could get seriously hurt.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I´m not sure why, but I would keep them away from each other. If Pichu loses his temper, your budgies could get seriously hurt.
well they are never in confined space so they can all fly away, and this mostly happens when Pichu interacts with me for dinner or cuddles. Otherwise they don't interact that much.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I was wondering if the fact that parrotlets don't have the blue ceres could confuse Merlin and he'd think Pichu is a cute budgie girl for him to court?
I am not sure. I think sometimes birds just get excited about other small objects or creatures. Neptune was courting his broccoli two days ago. I have seen several youtube clips of budgies courting tennis balls.

I think sometimes it is more of courtship play. Not always as serious as we imagine it to be.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
:lol: Sorry but I have to giggle a little... :shy:
Neptune is a very silly little dude! :wasntme:

He just wants to feed the world and love on everything/every body. It is part of the reason Picard and him fight. Picard is very parrotlet. He has his ONE person, Eric. He has his boundaries and his territory. Picard wants everyone to respect and follow his parrotlet rules. Neptune just wants to feed and love on everyone and doesn't respect boundaries. **granted Neptune will also bite Eric. He is still a parrotlet. ** But Neptune and Pi get on much better because Pi doesn't take such great offense at Neptune's gregarious lifestyle.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I am not sure. I think sometimes birds just get excited about other small objects or creatures. Neptune was courting his broccoli two days ago. I have seen several youtube clips of budgies courting tennis balls.

I think sometimes it is more of courtship play. Not always as serious as we imagine it to be.
Gotta love Neptune!! :D
As for Merlin he isn't courting anything. But yeah, his logic is not mine so I won't pretend I understand his motives... I just know he is interested in Pichu and his relationship to me. He is not interested in me, or the food on the table though, only when Pichu is with me or eating with me..

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
BTW... How did this end up in the Parrotlet place? I'm sure I posted it on the Bird Boulevard...

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Update: I think my theory of Merlin mistaking Pichu for being a budgie girl might hold.
He has been following Pichu the whole week now, becoming more and more insisting those last few days. Today he tried to land on Pichu while he was hiding on my shoulder.
Merlin was last seen humping the broccoli lying on Pichu's cage... :meh:

Dorcas George

Do I spy lefsa? Yum! My daughter sometimes makes a big homemade batch at Christmas. My husband is Norwegian, and hex went there as a teen. Our tree has little Norway flags on it, something his mom always put on there tree, so we do it too, to remember her.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Do I spy lefsa? Yum! My daughter sometimes makes a big homemade batch at Christmas. My husband is Norwegian, and hex went there as a teen. Our tree has little Norway flags on it, something his mom always put on there tree, so we do it too, to remember her.
lefse it is :D Funny your husband's family would be from Norway

Dorcas George

Lots of people with Norwegian forebears live in Minnesota and western side of Wisconsin. There are little shops around, if one looks, with things from Norway and other Scandinavian countries. On the eastern side of Wisconsin, where we live now, are lots of Germans. But still Scandinavians too. Funny thing is, he didn't grow up here. We were both born out west in California and moved to Wisconsin later on. His grandfather emigrated to USA as a young man, and when about aged sixty moved back to Norway. His name was Gunnar Steen. Ken went to see him and had a wonderful Norway trip when he was 17. My late M-I-L loved all things Norwegian and belonged to a lodge called Sons of Norway. A few customs remain at our house, like lefsa and a few phrases, and such. Oh, I'll take a couple pics of something else. SOrry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. He always wanted to go back, but never happened.