• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

February 2022 Mayor of the Avenue... Sparkles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Sparkles! is February's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have?

We have our personal birds, as well as several large birds that are fostering in our care due to the current ongoing criminal issues/legal proceedings of their owners. I can’t speak on those birds, for legal and privacy reasons. We have rescued, fostered, and provided needed sanctuary for birds for many, many years. But our personal birds- the GC conures, rule the house! Queenie- the notorious pineapple just might be in the running for AA’s #1 turd bird. She’s absolutely a poop head, and I couldn’t possibly love her more than I do now. Cupid, the sweet precious neighbor who puts up with Queenie, is a yellow sided airhead who’s been known to get lost on the other side of a toy and not be able to find his way out of his own food dish. He’s hopelessly in love with Queen Bean, but she has about as much interest in returning his affection as one would show a used paper towel on the floor of a truck stop bathroom.

2. What got you interested in birds?

I was raised with birds. I have many fond memories of the many oriental show birds we had on the farm. My grandmother had a favorite Mynah and a truly ancient Amazon, and they perhaps were my first friends- at 2 years old I was allowed to feed them and the Amazon was allowed to sleep in my room, often in bed with me. Crazy the things we thought safe back then! I remember taking my peahen to the state fair and winning a ribbon taller than me one year. I had an African gander that I even brought to college with me, and I can attest that they are great study partners.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Birds have always brought a strong sense of nature to me. Easy to forget about the changing of the seasons, or what’s happening on this planet around you, because we are so busy being busy. Birds? They notice the glimpses of warmer weather. The signs of the equinox on the way. My birds ground me. And I eat better- I’m buying all these veggies, can’t let them go to waste.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

That strawberry might still be delicious, even if it got squashed a bit or fell on the floor-gotta take a bite and see! Don’t let appearances keep you from enjoying your strawberry.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

I got called for jury duty, and the morning of reporting to the courts was crazy stressful. I was late, my suit pants were half damp, and couldn’t find my coffee anywhere. I flew out the door but I arrived in time to be sat and interviewed- as I went to dig through my purse for a stick of gum, out popped a bird! It was a rather nesty blue crowned conure who decided my purse- opportunely placed next to her cage on the sofa waiting for me to rush out the door with- was an inviting spot to investigate. The entire room bubbled with laughter, but I was as crimson faced as could be. *I was not selected for juror duty that day!

6. Where is your birds main living area?

The entire house. They’ve got cages/trees/stands/gyms all over. From the living room, to the study, the office, they’ve even got perches in every bathroom. This place really has gone to the birds! If it’s not a bird you’re scooting over, it’s a dog. Where’s there’s a person- likely there’s a dog and a bird with them.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Not really. We aren’t smokers, chemical users, or anything of the like. Too many human sensitivities and allergies. A good fit for the needs of avians.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

We are lifetime conservation members. Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever. Rocky Mountain Falconers Cloud Peak and Blacktooth chapters.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

Luxury? Hmm. Maybe a pre-made chop delivery service.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I have the immense pleasure of being able to own or provided sanctuary to all my dream species.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Cupid gets up at the crack of dawn to sing the song of his people. Soon after, the rest of the house is awake too because he’s such a “beautiful” Soprano. Queenie Beanie wakes up whenever her highness feels like it. Since we’re home, they’re out of their cages the entire day starting with Queenie stealing eggs from my plate for breakfast and making newspaper shreds while I’m trying my best to read it. Cupid is busy trying to take a bath in the plant water saucers, because it’s probably a Sunday and they’ve just gotten watered. He’ll promptly give up trying to fit his large hiney in the saucer and make his way over the the dog dish-getting a good splash in before a responsible human scoops him up to put him in an actual sink for a real bath. Soggy birdy will then want to go into the sunroom and watch TV with the kiddo while stealing bites of fruit and enjoying the sun. Queenie is still probably destroying something- if the newspaper isn’t fun anymore, she’s probably picking apart a dish towel or making a rat’s nest in my hair while we’re doing up the breakfast dishes. Kiddo and Cupid have probably fallen into a nap by noon- and both get nudged awake to eat lunch. Queenie takes her nap right about lunchtime- the only time she’s not attempting to wrestle your fork away from you is when her eyes are shut. Mr. Sparkles probably decides to take a nap after lunch, in the study, along with Queenie. Who snores louder is definitely the million dollar question. Dinner is a flurry of every living thing in the house being ravenous, and it’s loud. 50% chance of a dog getting fed tidbits under the table, and 75% chance of Queenie flying to the stand beside the table so she can make 100% sure that she hasn’t gotten cheated out of anything yummy. All birds then cheerfully watch the dishwasher get loaded. Queenie will then want a bath or shower, but she’s a real lady so she at least goes into the actual shower in the bathroom to do so. A hour later she might decide she’s clean enough and then want to go sit under the warmth of the chandelier pendants in the kitchen- which is perfect timing for popcorn. Cupid will fly to the kitchen when that pop!pop!pop! starts, because he knows if he’s late Her Majesty will pig out without him. Board game or TV will be decided- but watch out because Queenie cheats at Monopoly. Bedtime is put yourself to bed.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

Poop happens. It’s best not to dwell.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

Diet! Ralston Purina checkered diet was okay back then- or so we thought. Hard to imagine just how far we have come in terms of understanding dietary needs of these guys.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

Too many! Never enough time. Always enjoy meeting new bird friends though- my inbox is always open when talking birds or dogs.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:congratualtions:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations. Awesome interview. Love tthe candor and the humor.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations!! This is wonderful news :) @Sparkles! your interview was a fun read! I want to spend a day at Chez Sparkles with all that fun going on, and I about snorted my coffee out of my nose at your jury duty adventure :laughin: Long may Queenie reign!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations ! I loved reading the interview!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
:yah: Congrats!!! Hilarious interview I loved it!!!!! Great choice for our Mayor!! :congrats5:

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
:starshower1:Congratulations! :starshower1:
The interview was hilarious, I really enjoyed reading it!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Very interesting reading the details of your life with birds. I think it great all the things you do for them. Well deserved award.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Congratulations Sparkles! What a fitting award, you deserve it. You’re a gem among gems here. :hug8:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5: What a fun interview to read. I love the jury duty story!:rofl:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran