• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

February 2021 Mayor of the Avenue... Destiny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! :cheer:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Your interview was awesome!!!!! Your birds are beautiful, your chickens, your turkey is hilarious ,( no photos of the peafowl :(), your aviary is beautiful.. So well written... I enjoyed reading every word. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Your interview was awesome!!!!! Your birds are beautiful, your chickens, your turkey is hilarious ,( no photos of the peafowl :(), your aviary is beautiful.. So well written... I enjoyed reading every word. Thanks for sharing!!!!!
A peacock photo just for you. ;)

20200724_192821.jpg

Look at those hens. They have seen this too many times already. They are not impressed.

And a bonus shot of the outside of the aviary ... with peacock roof ornament.

20200513-150649.jpg

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Congratulations

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Congratulations!

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
:Congratwav:
Congratulations--You're an amazing inspiration for all of us avian enthusiasts!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My aunt had peacocks..... the yells THEY made? So glad Secret didn't copy that one!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
My aunt had peacocks..... the yells THEY made? So glad Secret didn't copy that one!
Ah yes. The peacock scream has been described as sounding like a woman being murdered or someone screaming for help. Very loud. Very dramatic. As expected from a peacock.

I just think it sounds like the background jungle sounds in a Tarzan movie. Perhaps I have developed an immunity from years of exposure.

I knew about the screaming before I got my peafowl and had also heard it in person before from a peahen who wandered onto my grandmother's farm, so I knew what I was in for. Peafowl are notorious wanderers and will fly away to greener pastures if they are not happy where they are or if they are in search of a mate. Both my uncle and my grandmother had "visiting peacocks" take up temporary residence on their farm for a few months before they wandered away again. I think I must be doing something right, because my birds have not wandered from my property in the five years that I have had them. They like where they are at.

One interesting peacock fact - in addition to the blood-curdling scream, they also honk! It sounds just like a goose or swan and it is a sound of surprise or displeasure. If my peahen gets startled or upset, she doesn't scream. She honks.

The screaming is mostly related to their breeding season. They rarely scream in the fall or winter. But when spring arrives, the screaming begins. It seems to be equal parts mating call and alarm call.

It attracts potential mates from far away and warns of potential threats. Both male and female will scream, but males seem to scream a lot more. When Indigo, our male peacock, hears a loud noise or sees something strange, he will belt out a loud scream. They make for halfway decent watchdogs. Nobody sneaks up on a peacock farmer.

And in case you are wondering ... yes, peacocks scream at night. Sometimes quite frequently. Fortunately, my house has thick walls.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I went to a zoo once and they had peafowl . Thing was they didn't stay in the zoo :lol:
You could see them in the carpark and across the road on the sports oval. They hung out with the emus and basically went where they wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.