• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

February 2019 Mayor of the Avenue... Lady Jane (Dianne)

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Lady Jane is February's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have two English Budgies, Mickey is female and Murphy is male. They both turned 2 years old in January 2019.

2. What got you interested in birds?

About 15 years ago I had a friend that was getting an African Grey bird from a certified hand feeder that only had birds from Jean Patterson, a renowned breeder in Florida. We went to her home to see all the birds. There were two there, a Congo and a Timneh. Both birds were spectacular. The love of a companion birds begain the minute I saw them. A few weeks later I had the Timneh in my home. She was completely tame and eating all the healthy things a bird should eat.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Having birds in my world has given me an amazing understanding of their sensitivity, intellect and needs. Quite different from what I learned from having a parakeet as a child like so many of us had. Birds also brought an increasing need to find out more about them and there care needs in order to help others and share the knowledge. They bring me joy every day, a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Birds have taught me the art of close observation and communication without using words. I have a friend that is blind and deaf and she loves to sit beside the cage and listen and talk with them. She will sometimes use sign language to communicate with them. I think my two have a level of understanding from her presence that only they perceive.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

The strongest memory is from my first English Budgie, Chipper, which many AA members may remember. He had the talking ability beyond what I would ever imagine. Also the very same memory of his losing battle with AGY. His short life 2 years entrenched me into the world of English Budgies.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

I am in a small one bedroom apartment so the bird cage is located in the living room.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Upon moving into this apartment I placed the bird cage near but not in front of a window for the light which they seem to love. The rest of the furniture was arranged around the bird cage which was the most important item.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Shortly after acquiring the African Grey I attended Phoenix Landing events that were held in my state. Met some wonderful people and learned so much from them. Since that time I joined the local bird club for a few years and found more bird friends. My main group of bird friends are now on AA. We usually never meet them in person but my heart lies in AA.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

Oh it would be a large stainless steel, self cleaning cage filled with safe toys from AA vendors.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I would love to take in a senior Cockatiel but living where I do HUD places restrictions on the size of a bird you can have. No larger than a parakeet. :sad7:

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I am retired so unless I am going out I am with the birds. Their cage is open all day so they can come and go at will. Surprisingly Murphy prefers staying in the cage most of the time. I encourage him to venture out of the cage more often.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

Owning birds is a huge responsibility as we all know. I learned that younger people really do not know/understand the extent of responsibility it takes to keep them healthy and happy. So I will continue my quest to educate those that take bird ownership lightly.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

Probable hire someone to clean the cage and surrounding areas. Of course this is not financially possible now.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

Over the years I have had many hobbies. They keep your brain alive! I made jewelry, candles, skin creams and lotions. Now it is adult coloring that has my interest.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I cannot draw a thing, especially if it requires a straight line. You should see how I park the car! I think AA bird forum is the best on the web. The members are like family to eachother. The staff is also great about keeping us in line in the threads.

I would like to let members know my hands are getting worse with the arthritis and swollen joints so my typing is suffering. I try to correct all errors but sometimes they get missed.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You're one of my favourite (AA) roadies my dear. You have a true inner bird. :hug8:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I truly enjoy your posts. This is very well deserved. Congrats!

You can do talk to text on your phone, won't that work on the forum? My husband uses that all the time to send texts with.

Status
Not open for further replies.