• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

February 2017 Mayor of the Avenue... txdyna65

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that txdyna65 is February's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

We have a Yellow Naped Amazon, her name is Lucy and she is going on 2 yrs old

2. What got you interested in birds?

I would say my mom was my influence when I was a kid, she loved birds and passed that on to me. I had budgies and a cockatiel growing up.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Lots of things, but if I had to pick one, I would say more laughter. Not a day goes by she doesnt have us all laughing at something she is doing or saying. Also my kids are older and taking care of another kid brings its own fun and challenges.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Its not all fun and games, even though she has brought much joy to myself and my family, birds are a lot of work.
You cant just fill their food and water dish and call it a day, they need and want interaction. Also planning time away from home requires some thinking, finding bird friendly condos at the beach was fun lol, also be careful what you say around an Amazon.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

I also have a bunch of these, but the first time she said Luvv youuu when I was covering her for the night, made my heart melt.

6. Where is your bird's main living area?

Lucy has taken over our living room. I cant imagine her in another room, she always wants someone around. Her cage is there and she has 3 different trees she hangs out on and a boing from the ceiling, she uses them all daily.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Yes we got rid of all our candles (my wife loves candles) we also got rid of all the teflon pots and pans (wife had fun buying these, trade off on the candles).

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Avian Avenue of course, its the only bird forum Im on and glad I came here seeking advice and knowledge from the great members here.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I would like to have a double Macaw cage, even though Lucy stays out of her cage most of the time, it would be nice for her.
She uses every bit of her cage and I would love to see her have more room to play when she isnt out.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Ive always wanted an Amazon and a Blue and Gold Macaw. I love how they both are playful and really interactive with you. Lucy has been a hands on bird since the day we got her. She does some of the funniest things and loves to beat her toys up, shes a sweeite and a scaredy cat all in one.
I cant see us getting a Macaw now, I dont think Lucy would be happy about it. I love seeing and reading about the Macaws here on AA. They are so beautiful, but Id have to get a much bigger house to share with Lucy.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Chaos....I guess I need to expand on this lol Lucy usually wakes around 8am, we dont uncover her until she starts mumbling or climbs down and peeks at us. We put her mix in her bowl and on some days I get her out and weigh her. We open her fold down door and let her do her thing. Some days if it is nice, I take her outside and put her in the aviary or she gets a shower or both. My neighbors all know we have her she is either calling to the chickens or the peacock down the road. We live way out in the country so we dont get complaints upload_2017-2-1_9-43-18.png While she is out
we change the papers in the cage and clean food off the bars, amazing hoow she gets food on everything. In the evening, she gets a bowl of cooked veggies and or sweet potato or home made birdie bread. Several times a day she sits on my shoulder for an hour or two, we talk and laugh and she does all her little antics. I cover her at 9pm, we tell each other night night and Luvvv youuu....dont think about covering before 9pm she knows what time it is.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

They are like having another kid in the house, they want attention like a kid and Lucy lets you know if shes not getting enough of it.
Birds are messy, be prepared to clean up behind them several times a day.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would have started with a much bigger cage, and I would have replaced the carpet in the living room before I got a bird.....ugggg
I also would have made sure the breeder didnt clip Lucys wings. SHe is coming up on 2 and still doesnt fly well with the strange clip she had.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

My wife says I have too many, I am a model railroader, I put a building behind my house just for my trains. The layout is 32' long and 16' wide, Ive been working on it for 5 years, they are never done. I also hunt and fish and am presently setting up a 210 gallon saltwater aquarium. Ive had aquariums since I was a kid, but not in the last 10 years or so.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I want to thank you for nominating me, I always love reading these every month and feel honored to be thought of.
Im also glad I found AA before I ever got a bird, Ive learned so much here and the people here are great.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Congratulations!
I enjoyed reading about you and Lucy.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood