• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures February 2017 Feathered Estates Highlight - Jaguar

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
February 2017 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower::starshower::starshower:
I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member
@Jaguar (Ry)

:congrats5:

Multi-Room Setups
1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?

I have two cockatiels and a quaker. The cockatiels share a "bird room" type setup in the bedroom, and there's a tabletop play gym and spare cage in the living room that they can all use.
Jag1.jpg
Jag2.jpg

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?

No.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?

Ask your family and neighbors for scrap branches when they prune their trees! I got a ton of awesome perches and a huge play gym for free that way.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?

The only thing that's stationary is the large branch in the bedroom. Everything else can be moved around, and toys can be hung in different areas. The tabletop gym is completely reconfigurable as well! I mix everything up a few times a year to keep it interesting for them. I also add fresh foliage from nearby trees during the warmer seasons, which they love destroying.
Jag3.jpg

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?

I got silver maple, apple, and basswood branches from friends and family. Those got turned into perches and parts for the play gyms. My favorite vendors have to be Things for Wings and Oliver's Garden - most of my toys, perches, and misc. things are from them. I have a few Avian Stainless toys that I love as well!
Jag4.jpg
Jag5.jpg

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?

The 12" Oddball from Oliver's Garden, and the birds agree!
Jag6.jpg

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?

Phoenix's favorite homemade toy is randomly shaped chunks of corrugated cardboard on a skewer. Free and easy!

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?

I regularly hide food and treats in the toys around their play areas - Nutriberries fit perfectly inside palm finger traps! I plan to add more things like foraging baskets and acrylic puzzle toys in the very near future.

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?

Space was definitely a big issue, since we live in a tiny apartment and also have a cat. Hanging most things kept the space feeling more open. The cockatiels are also very dusty, so having them in the bedroom was a health hazard - we remedied this with a large air purifier, and we also run a humidifier in the colder months.
Jag7.jpg

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?

I hate that I have to split them up between rooms - there's just not enough space in the bedroom for all of them. I wish I could give them an entire room to themselves!

11~ What do you like most about your setup?

I love the big hanging branch. It's such a genius idea that I borrowed from @Bartleby. It saves a ton of space, being hung above their cage, and the birds love it.

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?

The cockatiels only needed a little bit of convincing with some millet before they were all over it. My quaker's a little bit of a scaredy cat, but he's warmed up to his area and often flies there on his own.

13~ Any future renovations planned?

I'm planning on putting a hanging play area in the living room very soon. Stay tuned for that!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Very nice set up!

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
:congratualtions: and very nice setup you have :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What a great set up! Congrats!

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
Thank you for sharing. Cockatiel owner here too and ours is so dusty that I cannot imagine having him in the bedroom. Will try the air purifier next !

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Looks great! :congrats:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Nice setup.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is a great set up!

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing your new play area.