• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

February 2011 Mayor of the Avenue..........Saemma!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I'm so pleased to announce Saemma as February's "Mayor of the Avenue"

She exhibits all these qualities and more and is truly an asset to our community, please join me in welcoming her :D

1. What kind of birds do you have, age, species and names?

I have 3 girlie parrots. A white capped pionus named Sachi, an african grey named Emma and a severe macaw named Mabel. Sachi will be 4 years old in May 2011, Emma will turn 3 on March 7, 2011 and Mabel will be 3 in July 2011.

2. what got you interested in birds?

I used to have a budgie named Aristotle. She was the first bird I ever had. I met her when she was about 10 weeks old at a pet shop. I had stopped by to admire the tropical fish in the aquariums and came across an aquarium of baby budgies. I chose her for her color and didn't know a thing about budgies but bought her anyway and figured out the rest later. My parents were pretty horrified to see me come home from school with a bird in a box, some seed and a bird cage.

She lived until she was 12 years old and I loved her very much. She was with me through all of high school, college and much of university. She was with me through times of joy, sadness, stress, change, challenge, you name it.
She offered me friendship and devotion. Even when I was *alone* I never felt alone because she was in my life. I loved her very much and when she passed away I cried very deeply. She was a beautiful beautiful budgie who was a wonderful soul. Today I think of her fondly and only smile.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

My parrots have brought a bounty of things into my life. The primary ones that come to my mind are Joy, Wonder and Laughter. They also help to make my home feel more like a home.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I've learned that parrots are incredibly intelligent, truly special and extremely empathic. My african grey Emma truly knows how to pick up on how I am feeling without me having to say anything. She consistently demonstrates this by using words and sentences in the right context during these moments. Sachi and Mabel are not able to verbalize the way Emma does, however they still are able to communicate empathy to me through their body language.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

I will never forget the first moment I saw Emma after she escaped last summer. When I realized that I was REALLY looking at my Emma again I was filled with Joy, Disbelief and Gratefulness. It was a very magical moment for me and I felt very light headed from being so ecstatic to have Emma back and exhausted from barely eating and sleeping those past 2 days. After I placed her in the Adventure pack, I couldn't stop bending down to hug it with her inside. Then I would peak inside to make sure she was really there and that I wasn't sleep walking. I was so, so, so, so, so, so HAPPY. I had sadly believed that I would never see her again.

The other moment that I will not ever forget was when I went to inform you guys about the phone call I had received from the rescue shelter. As I was typing,
I felt a sort of *electric* surge run up my fingertips and then to my shoulder blades. I have never ever felt anything like that before. Still don't know what to make of that moment but a buddy of mine told me this was an true indication of how strong my bond is with Emma.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Their main living area is my living room. There is only a couch in there and a table with a glass top. The rest is cages, swings and toys.

7. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

For now I participate in parrot forums like the Avian Avenue. I also have my Emmalogue Blog .

8. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

I definitely have made adjustments for my parrots. The only 2 areas where there are no parrot objects, are my bedroom and the bathroom. The other rooms all have hanging gyms or floor stands for them to perch on in comfort. I used to love lighting scented candles and aromatherapy essential oils. Those days are OVER and never to be seen again in my home.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

My goal/dream is to one day have the finances to build my own house. It will be built exactly the way I want and to accommodate my parrots as well. I will have one location where their cages are located and a separate bird/flying room. I am thinking of a very spacious floor plan. This room will have high ceilings, lots of tall windows, a panoramic view. It will overlook palm trees and the ocean. It will be a room that inspires contentment, peace and calmness. The outside view will be breathtaking and it will be a wonderful place to watch the sun rise and set.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I don't dream about other parrots anymore. Before Emma,I used to daydream about african greys but those daydreams cannot compare to the Emma African Grey Dream that I am living. Occasionally I have wondered what it would be like to live with a Cape parrot but not so much anymore because I love the quality of my relationships with my existing parrots. I wouldn't want to dilute our relationship any further. An african grey parrot has always been my ULTIMATE dream parrot. I feel like I have a very charmed life living with Emma.

11. Please describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

During the work week, I get up at 6 am or earlier every morning. My parrots only get up at 8am. The first two hours of my morning are all mine. I meditate, stretch, do yoga, and then I read.
Once the parrots are up, it's all about them! I make time for flying time, preparing their fresh foods, warm mash, silly time, singing games and dancing with them, cleaning the cages, sweeping, dusting. I prioritize all of this before I eat breakfast and go to work. On the weekend the pace is a *bit* more relaxed.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I've learned that if you want to do it RIGHT, then it's A LOT of work and quite a lot of money too. I've also learned that being responsible for a parrot is a very big commitment and not for those who are self centered or selfish. A lot of my decisions revolve around them and I must admit that they've helped to make me more humble. With that said, being a Mom to Sachi, Emma and Mabel has been a very rewarding experience for me. I enjoy taking care of them and I enjoy learning as much as I can in order to provide them with a great quality of life. My days are never really cloudy with them in my life.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would have given my Aristotle a fresh diet more often. I would have not exposed her to scented candles and so much seed. I would have treated her the way Lotus treats Charles. I would have given her so much more than I did in terms of a very big cage and lots of enrichment. I feel a bit sad when I think about this. I guess what I am trying to say is that I wish I had treated her the way I treat Emma, Sachi and Mabel. I know I did the best with the information that I had back then. I know the information was limited, but nonetheless.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I love running, I love to read. I read mostly books about personal development, autobiographies, biographies. I love to read about people who have achieved great SUCCESS in their life. Especially the ones who had to face great adversities to get there. I make ALOT of time to read and can't get enough. I also am a foodie. I love GREAT food and cooking. I love trying foods from different cultures and doing my food shopping at the specialty markets.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Thank you for this opportunity to share. I do not have a lot time to be on here like I used to in the past but I really do appreciate the presence of the Avian Avenue and every single one of you. You guys have all played a part in making the Avian Avenue the best parrot forum on the internet! Thank you!

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
:Congratwav: Saemma - it is was such a pleasure reading your interview and getting to know you and your feathered family a little better! :heart:

:hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
VERY nice choice! Congratulations, Saemma! :hug8:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
What a wonderful interview :) :heart: Saemma, you are such a worthy mayor and I am proud to be a part of this community because of the wonderful members like you :heart: I really appreciate the shout out to me and Charles too!!! :D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
This is awesome! I am so happy you received this award, Saemma. You so deserve it!

Attachments

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Love it!
Great interview and information about you/fids...
Congrats!:dance4::hug8::heart:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
congratulations

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
:yah:
Congratulations Saemma! Another wonderful choice. That was an excellent interview!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
well deserved!!!!!!!!!!!! what a wonderful interview..congratulations!!!!!

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
congrats:hug8::hug8::hug8:great interview :hug8::hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name